PDA

View Full Version : No modem & no usb-stick access when booting from hd

kabs
11-13-2003, 10:40 AM
After everything worked fine when booting from CD (modem, usb-stick, usb-camera) I installed the same Knoppix-version 3.3 on hd. But now I can't access my modem by kppp thru ttyS0 (error message "Can not open Modem Device") and no access to the usb-devices (error mesasage by USBView: "Can not open the file /proc/bus/usb/devices"). What shall I do to get these working and where can I find what the differences are between CDRom boot & booting from hd?

thx in advance,
kabs

Stephen
11-13-2003, 07:02 PM
After everything worked fine when booting from CD (modem, usb-stick, usb-camera) I installed the same Knoppix-version 3.3 on hd. But now I can't access my modem by kppp thru ttyS0 (error message "Can not open Modem Device") and no access to the usb-devices (error mesasage by USBView: "Can not open the file /proc/bus/usb/devices"). What shall I do to get these working and where can I find what the differences are between CDRom boot & booting from hd?

thx in advance,
kabs

For the USB you need a line:

none /proc/bus/usb usbdevfs defaults 0 0

In the file /etc/fstab, I don't know about the modem I never use one but there are plenty of post dealing with it here it looks like a permission problem you should check the /dev/modem device and make sure you are a member of the groups dip and dailout with the command groups in a console wndow so more information as to the type of modem could be helpful as well.

kabs
11-28-2003, 08:20 AM
Now everything is working fine, because I used "sudo knoppix-installer" instead of "knx-hdinstall".

kabs