PDA

View Full Version : OK, installed fine. But I want that COOL knoppix theme back!

Fluid
11-14-2003, 04:22 AM
I've never been into themes and such, but it was love at fist sight.

I see theres a background pic on the CD, but how do I keep the entire "presentation" of Knoppix terminal session colors, icons, etc., the same with a HD install.

BTW, the "look" of Knoppix 3.3 is first rate.

TIA

Fluid
11-14-2003, 04:39 AM
Maybe I found an answer....

Knoppix has a "Save Configuration" archive after the CD sets up. If I could email that to myself through a Yahoo account, perhaps I could run apply that to a hard drive install.

Fluid
11-14-2003, 05:11 AM
I found this and was able to creat the email I wanted. Let's see if I can restore now . . .

Hi there,

I like this idea. I suggested it myself a couple of days ago but I think it might take a while to have it officially incorporated into the official knoppix. In any case, in the meantime, you can accomplish some of the same functionality by using these scripts:

#!/bin/bash
# Save this script as file savehome in the knoppix directory
# This script takes the contents of the knoppix home directory and
# saves it to a file
tar -cvvf /ramdisk/knxhome.tar /home/knoppix
gzip /ramdisk/knxhome.tar
scp /ramdisk/knxhome.tar.gz username@mysite.org:/home/username/knxhome.tar.gz
# end of savehome script

#!/bin/bash
# Save this script as file restorehome in the knoppix directory
# This script restores the knoppix home directory from a remote file
scp username@mysite.org:/home/username/knxhome.tar.gz /ramdisk
cd /
tar xfvz /ramdisk/knxhome.tar.gz
# end of restorehome script

I used scp instead of ftp because it is secure but you should be able to use ftp if security is not a consideration. After you save these files in the knoppix directory, make a copy of the restorehome script on your website also. (scp ~knoppix/restorehome username@mysite.org:/home/username/restorehome).

How to use these scripts:
1) before ending your knoppix session run the ~knoppix/savehome script from a console

That's it. Everything should now be saved, including all settings for the knoppix user. You can turn off the PC now.

2) Next time you use knoppix, boot in text-mode (knoppix 2)
3) at the # prompt, type "wget mysite.org/~username/restorehome" , you may need to adjust the path depending on how your website is set up.
4) at the # prompt type "./restorehome"
5) at the # prompt type "init 5"
Voila, you are back in your Xwindows session where you left off.