PDA

View Full Version : Cable Modem Install for Knoppix

SniperNeo
11-14-2003, 10:43 AM
Well, This is my first time actually succesfully having any version of linux on my computer, anyway, I loaded up the CD kick ass it works :o , ok next....prob, I try to get onto internet, and no luck :x , and tryed to do a search for modem only got my Ethernet which is on the motherboard, I do not use it, I use a USB Cable. So if anyone has any information on how I can get my internet to work I would be very greatful thank you.

:cry: -SniperNeo

SniperNeo
11-14-2003, 11:04 AM
:!: Also, Why is it that I fixed Knoppix up the background and stuff, and I Log Out and go back to windows for a bit and go back to Knoppix 10 minutes later, why does my stuff that I did get removed back to default version of knoppix

stukennedyuk
11-14-2003, 03:46 PM
I have a broadband connection using a USB port, I'm a newbie but I think the module that drives this device is called 'CDCEther' and you can make sure it is loaded with 'modprobe CDCEther' - from the 'Root shell' (Knoppix menu).

Then type 'netcardconfig' and it should show two ports, your onboard ethernet (eth0) and a second one, your USB connection - eth1 - either choose DHCP or enter the correct settings (your ISP will have given you those).

If any of this is wrong - can someone else help this chap!

Stu.....

certifieduser
11-14-2003, 03:56 PM
well since you are giving a shot to linux and trying something new, why dont you try hooking up a network cable to eth0 rather than going through usb. usb network is for computer illerate. sign of linux/knoppix shows your interest towards computer literacy.

is it making any sense. i have never used usb networking but i think ethernet networking would be much more simplier and easier.

good luck

aay
11-14-2003, 04:48 PM
well since you are giving a shot to linux and trying something new, why dont you try hooking up a network cable to eth0 rather than going through usb. good luck

I'm betting his cable modem only connects via usb. There are some cable and dsl modems out there like this. If not, then yes I would deffintely go for ethernet.

stukennedyuk
11-14-2003, 08:46 PM
If you have a fairly powerful PC, the overhead using USB doesn't matter and you can use the 'spare' ethernet port for a home network! (saves a bit of cash!)

Stu.....

SniperNeo
11-14-2003, 09:56 PM
I have a Ethernet one but, I have had problems trying to install it for regular windows, so I thought it would be best I stick with USB which is slower at times, I will try the Ethernet Cable in a few minutes from my cable modem to my Ethernet card inside my PC, and see what happends other wise I will do that other suggestion someone said about the konsole, ok well. I will tell you what happend wish me luck :twisted:

SniperNeo
11-14-2003, 10:20 PM
Well, i tryed to install the danm, thing, wouldn't work, so I am off to try the USB version, I tryed everyting I could to get the thing to work, so like I said I am off, I will tell you what happen later, also does anyone know why all my settings reset to default and I lose what I transfer over everytime I loggoff of Knoppix?

SniperNeo
11-14-2003, 10:33 PM
Alright, I tyred to do the thing "Stu...." said with Modprobe and stuff, Well it found 3 things but failed or something and 1 said that the operation couldn't be done like a restriction. So I can't get onto the net :evil: so I still need some help. Thanks

lah
11-17-2003, 05:25 AM
Superneo, if you could post the cable modem manufacturer and model number it would be very helpful in trying to help you.

savage
11-17-2003, 09:03 AM
...also does anyone know why all my settings reset to default and I lose what I transfer over everytime I loggoff of Knoppix?
Knoppix doesn't modify your hard drive in any way so all your changes are lost when you reset. If you want you can look at knoppix persistant home to see how to to save your settings. http://www.knoppix.net/docs/index.php/PersistentHomeHowTo