PDA

View Full Version : I can't load any website

Franko
11-14-2003, 01:15 PM
I got Knoppix 3.3 CD a week ago. I wanted connect to the Internet. I have an ISDN card so I ran ISDN connection ang config (it's a Red Hat software I think) to set it all up. The problem is that I can connect to my provider, but when I run any web browser and try to load a site (any site) it always says it can't load it because of unknown host.

Is there somebody who can help me in any way?

eleknader
11-14-2003, 01:52 PM
You need to set up DNS address.

Take a look at the paper you received from the service provider. There should be address of the DNS server.

Set it up by editing /etc/resolv.conf. Add
row like this

nameserver 192.222.222.222

where the numbers are the IP of the name server.

that should do it.

Eleknader

bernd_b
11-16-2003, 07:48 PM
I have exactly the same problem, but I use a modem.

The strange thing is:

I choose the option dynamik name server.

As long as I connected, there are nameserver written in the resolv.conf - File which are deleted when I stop the connection with my provider.

Still, even when enter a IP-adress instead of a website-name (eg. 193.201.12.14 instead of www. cinema.de). the website won't be found.

Franko
11-18-2003, 12:37 PM
Actually, the DNS adress wasn't written on the paper my provider gave me. So I had to call the provider and I finally got the DNS.

Right now I am running this website from Konqueror. Thank you very much Eleknader!!

I still can't see the Topic review. But this is maybe a website problem.

Franko
11-18-2003, 12:55 PM
Now I'm running the website from Mozilla and now I can see the Topic review. Probably the site is not very compatible with Konqueror.

And Bernd, why don't you try to use the exact name server of your provider instead of the dynamic. It worked for me, I think it should work even for you.