PDA

View Full Version : windows and linux

javiergarza4
11-15-2003, 04:27 AM
is there any way to install knoppix and still keep windows xp , like choose which one you wanna boot off of when u turn on the computer?
thanks for the help.

javiergarza4
11-15-2003, 04:31 AM
also, it doesnt use my modem right. it doesnt even dial, it always comes up with this dumb thing like its busy or it cant find it. I have a conexant 56k modem.

L2Cache
11-15-2003, 07:13 AM
You can dual boot with knoppix on the cd, with the knoppix cd copied to a fat 32 partition of around 700mb on the HD, or with knoppix installed to the HD (you would need to free up 3 gigs or more of HD space). Which do you want to do?
If that's a winmodem, you will need the drivers from linuxant.com to make it work.

maestrobwh1
11-15-2003, 03:44 PM
I am running Knoppix from one of my hard drives and I have W2K on another (dual boots W95 or W2K). I used Partition Magic from windows to create a linux partition on the spare drive although you could create a partition for it on the same drive as the W2K drive. Since I have two drives, I created a 512 MB linux swap partion on my W2K drive with partition magic as well. You don't need partition magic to do so, but it makes the whole process a lot less intimidating for us windows users.

I then booted Knoppix from cd, went into root and followed the simple directions to install it. I forget the command but I can send you the URL for a nice page that gives the process for installing Knoppix on your drive. I don't have it with me currently. Just e-mail me at harkness@ptd.net so that when I get home, it will remind me.

I also don't have lilo loaded into the MBR (master boot record) but I use Partition Magic's Boot Magic (comes with partition magic) to dual boot the system. Again, it has a more familiar interface in windows. The last thing I wanted to do was to disable my system so that it didn't boot into anything.

It works great, and I do like Knoppix for web browsing and e-mail and such. I am still unable to install additional programs for it... as I have not figured that out yet. I did the whole shell/super user/ password thing and it still denies my access to installing files.

A. Jorge Garcia
11-15-2003, 05:12 PM
With qtparted, you can resize your XP partition (fat32, maybe not ntfs?) to make room for an hdinstall of KNOPPIX using knoppix-installer and lilo. I setup my LAN at school for my computer science students this way and its great!

Good Luck,