PDA

View Full Version : can't change read/write mode on HDD

Dioran
11-15-2003, 08:49 PM
Installed Knoppix 3.3 to HDD. I have 2 SCSI drives, and they are paritioned as follows:

sda:
sda1 (boot)(ext2)
sda2 (swap)
sda3 (/)(ext3)

sdb:
sdb1 (ext3)

Both were found on install, and mount for me...I can browse them from the desktop just fine.

However, I can't write to them, and right clicking the drives DOES show me the "change read/write mode" option, but when I click on it, my cursor shows busy, then nothing happens. I am still not able to write to these partitions (unless, of course, I'm root)

I have tried (as root)

mount -t ext3 -0 remount,rw /dev/sdb1 /mnt/sdb1

and have not gotten any error messages, so I assume that whatever was supposed to happen, happened. :?

Because I'm new to this, and I would rather not take up board space with useless information, I will post the contents of fstab, or any other file that may help deduce the problem, if asked (but I'm not going to use up space for that unless I need to.)

Any help is greatly appreciated.

stukennedyuk
11-16-2003, 08:21 PM
I'm a newbie and had this problem and I can confirm that:-

mount -o remount,rw /dev/hda1

- I don't think you need to specify the mount point as long as it is given in fstab.

Anyway, it works okay for me AND for the USB memory card device I have (which uses the scsi driver). The entries I have in fstab are:-

/dev/sda1 /mnt/sda1 vfat noauto,users,exec,umask=000 0 0
/dev/hda1 /mnt/hda1 vfat auto,users,exec,umask=000 0 0

Hope this is some help.

Good luck, Stu.....