PDA

View Full Version : Anyone finding the knoppix/kde S-L-0-W?

beforewisdom
11-16-2003, 04:18 PM
KDE has always been slow.

However I now have a 2.5 gig chip, knoppix, and gigs of ram.

I finally decided to try kde out.

It took a very long time.......even long for the kde, especially on my hardware for many of the kde apps to come up.

Could this possibly be a knoppix thing?

I mean if KDE isn't snappy on a 2.5 gig chip something is wrong.

Just curious

Steve

ktheking
11-16-2003, 04:39 PM
Are you working on live-cd ?

beforewisdom
11-16-2003, 04:47 PM
Are you working on live-cd ?

Nope, I have knoppix installed to my hard drive.

I have a 2.5 gig chip and gigs of RAM

DRJ
11-16-2003, 06:16 PM
You can always try a different window manager to see if it is KDE causing the problem.

If you want something lightweight give fluxbox a try. As long as the KDE libraries are installed you can run KDE apps using any window manager. If you decide you like fluxbox make sure to get fluxconf, fluxkeys, and fluxmenu. They make it a cinch to configure.

stukennedyuk
11-16-2003, 08:07 PM
I don't think Knoppix sets DMA for the drives on by default, this might help (use something like: hdparm -d1 /dev/hdx ) - I agree tho' KDE is a bit slow.

Whilst I'm thinking about it, the 'find file' is REALLY slow on my machine, is this because I have a few partitions incl. FAT32 or is it just KDE.....

Stu.....

beforewisdom
11-17-2003, 08:55 AM
You can always try a different window manager to see if it is KDE causing the problem.

If you want something lightweight give fluxbox a try. As long as the KDE libraries are installed you can run KDE apps using any window manager. If you decide you like fluxbox make sure to get fluxconf, fluxkeys, and fluxmenu. They make it a cinch to configure.

I've been using icewm for a year......and its fast.

I just thought that I wold give KDE a look and was shocked how slow it is.

Steve

garyng
11-17-2003, 11:56 PM
not my experience on my lowly spec. PII400/256MB and Celeron733/320MB. KDE runs fine and snappy on both systems. It is a bit slow to load up(from startx to seeing the desktop) but after that it seems to be faster in general than XP.