PDA

View Full Version : ACPI enabled non-SMP version of KNOPPIX 3.3 2003-11-14

windos_no_thanks
11-16-2003, 10:41 PM
I've fixed the problems I had with starting the X-server and got the size
down below 700MB again, also updated from 2003-11-03 to 2003-11-14.

For those of you who haven't been following my monologue the last
few days this is an ISO image where the original kernel has been replaced
by one with the SMP support turned off and APM replaced by ACPI.
The SMP stuff in the original kernel causes my machine to lock up
right after loading the kernel and it seems like many others have had similar
problems, if you are one of them you might want to give this a try.
The ACPI stuff is needed to, among other things, enable CPU throttling and
battery status reading. On some machines the sound chip doesn't get any
IRQ assigned without ACPI either.

Anyway, the stuff is on the gnutella network, do a search for "knoppix_3.3_acpi_experimental"
After downloading check that theMD5 sum is: 8daf48acbc5c85477ce1df98ed762b87

Why gnutella ? Well, I just want to prove it can be used for other things than
what RIAA says. ;-) If this causes problems but you still want to obtain the ISO image
speak up and we will work something else out. :-)

moustache
11-17-2003, 05:48 AM
I have a dell 5150 inspiron laptop and would like to have a copy of the iso you modified of knoppix since I am having the same problem as many other users with the same notebook. I tried searching gnutella but your version of the knoppix iso did not show up. Could you put it somewhere else i could download it?

moustache

windos_no_thanks
11-17-2003, 07:43 AM
I have a dell 5150 inspiron laptop and would like to have a copy of the iso you modified of knoppix since I am having the same problem as many other users with the same notebook. I tried searching gnutella but your version of the knoppix iso did not show up. Could you put it somewhere else i could download it?

moustache

Due to the dynamic nature of the gnutella network it can sometimes take some time for
the querys to produce the wanted results. I don't have very much bandwidth, (or any domain name or static IP address) gnutella solves these problems nicely once other downloders
start sharing and also handles interrupted sessions well.
Anyway, I'll try to find time to set up a http server when I get home from work and
we'll see how that works out. :-)

windos_no_thanks
11-17-2003, 07:01 PM
Ok folks, the ISO image is now also available here:
http://62.197.175.41:8080
Please note that this might change any time,
all I can promise is that my webserver is there at
the moment I'm typing this. :-)

moustache
11-19-2003, 08:42 PM
dear windows_no_thanks,
I downloaded your experimental iso of knoppix 11/14/03 with SMP recognition turned off (though it took about 24 hrs at about 10k/sec),
burned it and booted it on my Dell inspiron 5150....it worked! For the first time I have seen Knoppix on my laptop! It recognized the hard drives too. The only glaring problem was the that the broadcom 4400 ethernet card was not recognized (no driver found during bootup). There is a b44.o (i think) driver in the /libs/kernel/kernel-#/drivers/net directory that i forced it to accept using the dsl-pppoe program, but this did not work either (i have cable modem anyway).
I do have the correct driver (downloaded from broadcom site) for the ethernet card (bcm4400.o) which i can compile correctly BUT it will not install because the ////net directory is "read only". I even opened a root window, typed init 2, and still couldnt install it. Is there an easy way to get this driver installed short of decompressing the iso, adding the driver to the correct directory, remaking the iso, and burning another copy to cd?

Thanks windows_no_thanks,
Moustache

Stephen
11-19-2003, 09:33 PM
dear windows_no_thanks,
I downloaded your experimental iso of knoppix 11/14/03 with SMP recognition turned off (though it took about 24 hrs at about 10k/sec),
burned it and booted it on my Dell inspiron 5150....it worked! For the first time I have seen Knoppix on my laptop! It recognized the hard drives too. The only glaring problem was the that the broadcom 4400 ethernet card was not recognized (no driver found during bootup). There is a b44.o (i think) driver in the /libs/kernel/kernel-#/drivers/net directory that i forced it to accept using the dsl-pppoe program, but this did not work either (i have cable modem anyway).
I do have the correct driver (downloaded from broadcom site) for the ethernet card (bcm4400.o) which i can compile correctly BUT it will not install because the ////net directory is "read only". I even opened a root window, typed init 2, and still couldnt install it. Is there an easy way to get this driver installed short of decompressing the iso, adding the driver to the correct directory, remaking the iso, and burning another copy to cd?

Thanks windows_no_thanks,
Moustache

Put it on a floppy and use the modules-disk cheat code (http://www.knoppix.net/docs/index.php/CheatCodes) when you boot.

isnoop
11-20-2003, 12:39 AM
Ok folks, the ISO image is now also available here:
http://62.197.175.41:8080
Please note that this might change any time,
all I can promise is that my webserver is there at
the moment I'm typing this. :-)

Another happy 5150 user. Thanks for the download. =) It was worth the wait!

booty
01-13-2004, 07:33 PM
windos_no_thanks,

First off thanks for an actual working copy of Knoppix for my dell 5150! :D

Could you help me do the same thing to another knoppix based distro, or at least point me in the right direction into the steps I would need to take to disable the SMP. I'm very green when it comes to linux so please go slow.

I would have PMed you, but it doesn't seem to be working for me right now.

windos_no_thanks
01-13-2004, 08:13 PM
windos_no_thanks,

First off thanks for an actual working copy of Knoppix for my dell 5150! :D

Could you help me do the same thing to another knoppix based distro, or at least point me in the right direction into the steps I would need to take to disable the SMP. I'm very green when it comes to linux so please go slow.

I would have PMed you, but it doesn't seem to be working for me right now.

I mostly followed these instructions: http://www.stirnimann.com/mystuff/doc/knoppix.txt
Remastering is not rocket science but not exactly newbie stuff either so don't be disappointed if it feels difficult. :-)

booty
01-13-2004, 11:46 PM
Well I am definitely a newbie when it comes to this kind of stuff.... hence the reason I wanted a live distro to help me learn before I reinstall Linux on my whole network! :wink:

I'll give that document a look see and try to figure it out.

If you want a fun project maybe you can make a NON SMP version of Phlak, since it is based on Knoppix it should be the same process?

Thanks for your reply and help!

bigjrmman
01-28-2004, 12:03 AM
I downloaded and made the knoppix cd as I have done before many times. And this release does boot. However there are no network drivers at all for my dell 5150. I have sound and video I have the nvidia card 5200. I am a newbie to this whole thing so please bear with me. I went and downloaded the drivers from broadcom's site and I have the package on the hard drive. I can run it but it asks me for the root password. I can go in and hit ctrl + alt + F2 and enter the passwd command and change the password, but I do not know how to get back to the previous screen. I would like also to know how to get the integrated wi-fi card that came with my laptop working as well. But I am trying to do things alittle at a time. I do now know the root password for knoppix. If anyone can provide me any sort of assistance and just point me in the right direction I would be really greatful. Just pointing me in the right direction would be very much appriciated. Thanks.

Jordan

windos_no_thanks
01-28-2004, 04:55 AM
I can run it but it asks me for the root password.

If you have been typing something like "foo bar" before you should say "sudo foo bar" instead.
(I don't have a Dell myself so I don't know the details)

booty
02-04-2004, 07:03 AM
What kernel did you use, and how (if you did) did you modifiy it?

I have my remastering enviroment setup and have been messing around with it, but most of the tutorials are vague at best about recompiling the kernel.

windos_no_thanks
02-04-2004, 09:22 PM
What kernel did you use, and how (if you did) did you modifiy it?

I have my remastering enviroment setup and have been messing around with it, but most of the tutorials are vague at best about recompiling the kernel.
Sorry for the delay, the kernel is compiled from the 2.4.22-xfs sources like the kernel in the official 2003-11-14 Knoppix, but I changed the configuration before compiling it so it does not contain any SMP code (which made it lock up on my machine) and APM has been replaced with ACPI. I'm not sure what is considered the "right" way to do it in a debian box but I just got the sources form kernel.org, the xfs patches from SGI and the cloop code, configured and compiled it, and copied the resulting stuff to the apropriate places before creating the compressed filesystem, the miniroot and the boot floppy image.

brotert
05-02-2004, 08:30 PM
Downloaded the modified version of Knoppix and it finally worked! I am interested to see if the changes that were made will be incoporated into the next version of Knoppix. I tried passing all of the different cheat codes that were suggested, but nothing worked. There are also a few distros based off of Knoppix that I would like to try, but so far I have run into the same problem.

I know this thread is a bit old, but perhaps someone is watching still?

Thanks for the input.