PDA

View Full Version : adduser and KDE

WillsterV
02-01-2003, 07:31 AM
when adding a user by typing "adduser" at a root prompt I'm able add a user normally.

My problem is when starting KDE it doesn't go through the initialization that the root account goes through when it first logs into KDE. How do I make my other users have that same initialization?

I have already tried moving the /etc/skel directory and leaving /etc/skel but deleting all the files. and it still doesn't work.

Anyway any ideas would be great.

jjc71538
02-01-2003, 02:30 PM
I'm interested in adding a user as well. Also, the KNOPPIX user shows with the German language - I'd like to convert that login to English.

tuxtom
02-01-2003, 03:59 PM
when adding a user by typing "adduser" at a root prompt I'm able add a user normally.

My problem is when starting KDE it doesn't go through the initialization that the root account goes through when it first logs into KDE. How do I make my other users have that same initialization?I always add new users manually:
In konsole:

$ su
password: rootpassword
# useradd username
# passwd username
# mkdir /home/username
# chown username:users /home/usernameDoing this way the new user starts with an empty homedir.
~/.kde will be newly created (by the same procedure it is done with root)

tom

WillsterV
02-02-2003, 01:54 AM
$ su
password: rootpassword
# useradd username
# passwd username
# mkdir /home/username
# chown username:users /home/username

This worked perfectly. Thank you. I even experimented by doing 'startx' and configuring KDE then quiting and deleting everything from the dir and doing 'startx' again.