PDA

View Full Version : about ntfs

Pretone
11-17-2003, 06:20 PM
it's possible that I change the permission of a mount drive and I must write e file but not delete??? I create a file txt on a ntfs filesystem but after i can't delete it
Tks

garyng
11-17-2003, 10:47 PM
it's possible that I change the permission of a mount drive and I must write e file but not delete??? I create a file txt on a ntfs filesystem but after i can't delete it
Tks

You are playing with fire if you mean creating files under linux. The linux NTFS driver is not safe for creating file of any kind on a NTFS partition. I would advice you don't do that in the future or your whole NTFS partition can be trashed.

sjborch
11-18-2003, 05:49 AM
I've written to NTFS successfully in Linux from a Knoppix CD. I've only written small files, like a network card driver and NTLDR from a server onto a non-bootable workstation.

Does anyone have actual horror stories about damaging an NTFS partition, and what did they do at the time? We all caution newbies (and veterans) about writing to NTFS, but is there any real experience with this?

Stephen

Irgu
11-22-2003, 01:13 PM
I've written to NTFS successfully in Linux from a Knoppix CD. I've only written small files, like a network card driver and NTLDR from a server onto a non-bootable workstation.

Does anyone have actual horror stories about damaging an NTFS partition, and what did they do at the time? We all caution newbies (and veterans) about writing to NTFS, but is there any real experience with this?

Depends on what NTFS driver you use. The old can trash NTFS. The rewritten one can't however it's very limited in functionality.See yourself the NTFS driver status page (http://linux-ntfs.sourceforge.net/status.html).

My some month old Knoppix has the obsolete NTFS driver, I don't know if it was upgraded since then but would be very nice :)