PDA

View Full Version : Complete newbie. Need help installing additional software

drenmi
11-17-2003, 09:08 PM
Okay, You all told me that i needed a HARD DRIVE installation of knoppix to be able to install programs i download off the net. I have successfuly done so. now whats the next step?

lets say i download this file:
http://mupen64.emulation64.com/files/mupen64-0.3.tar.bz2

i opened it with ark, dumped it into a folder.
i clicked on what Looks like an executable file and nothing happens. is there some additional commands i need to input or what? (mind you i am a windows user so im probably missing something thats very basic to you linux users)
please help.

hackerssidekick
11-18-2003, 01:14 AM
looks like you've downloaded the source pkg for that program. You have to manually compile it. You'll need gcc and some other programs (which are standard with recent knoppix releases). Make sure you read the readme file in the extracted folder, but the usual routine to compile is like so (type in konsole, in the folder and in order):

./.configure <enter>
make <enter>
make install <enter>

after each step, if you receive no errors then it's all sweet and you can find the program in your /usr folder (or subfolder)

stukennedyuk
11-18-2003, 06:16 PM
Try (in general) to get ready made Debian (.deb) packages - they are a lot easier to install, or Redhat packages (.rpm) - same thing applies, much easier to install.

Out of curiousity, I downloaded the file you listed below and used 'Ark' to extract it etc. - and you do get an executable which runs, it opens a window and prompts for the location of the ROM file.

So it seems to run okay, but I do not have the ROM!

Stu.....