PDA

View Full Version : Updating knoppix

lussac
11-18-2003, 10:32 AM
I think that the knoppix should include a way to update from the cd an old distribution of knoppix, like the other distributions. I say this cos im triying to update knoppix from a new distribution, and i cant because it delete the partition. Tnx.

todsr1
11-18-2003, 10:51 AM
So you've done a hdd install? Then you've got a Debian system - Debian has the arguably the best package update mechanism of any Linux distro. Go check it out.

eleknader
11-18-2003, 01:47 PM
Debian has the arguably the best package update mechanism of any Linux distro. Go check it out.
Agreed.

root console -> apt-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade

:)

Eleknader

Edix
11-18-2003, 04:02 PM
Yes, but it would be nice to keep it knoppix instead of debian by having a way to update the apt-get sources to knoppix rather than debian to me? I had a severe duplicate dependancy before that eventually led to me dumping and reinstalling and havent gone near upgrade since! I am fairly new though and didnt quite know how to deal with these issues any other way? + this would allow a full upgrade to thelatest knoppix from knoppix which would be great!
Any suggestions?

sjlinux
11-20-2003, 03:12 PM
Knoppix is Debian, supercharged with the most up to date software. If you were to install Debian, and add Testing and Unstable to your sources.list file, then run apt-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade, you would essentially have Knoppix after an HD install.

Nick