PDA

View Full Version : kernel updating, is there something I'm missing?

Hayabusa
11-19-2003, 05:10 PM
I tried updating my kernel to 2.6 test 9 one knoppix 3.3 (11-03-2003) using the following steps

downloaded the 2.6 test 9 kernel from kernel.org

extracted it in /usr/src to it's own directory

created a simlink from /usr/src/linux -> /usr/src/linux-2.6.0-test9
(baked up the existing simlink pointing to linux-2.4.2 to linux.bak)

successfully ran make xconfig in /usr/src/linux-2.6.0-test9, and configed the options I wanted, saving the changes

compiled the kernel by issuing the following command in /usr/src/linux-2.6.0-test9
make-kpkg --revision=786:MyKernel2.6.0test9 kernel_image

this did make a file in /usr/src called kernel-image-2.6.0-test9_MyKernel2.6.0test9_i386.deb

I ran a dpkg -i on this file which seemed to work sucessfully as I got no errors and I did choose to add the boot block to my existing /etc/lilo conf.

I rebooted only to find the old kernel was still being used (as uname-r returned 2.4.22-xfs)

I decided to take a look at /etc/lilo.conf

as I had suspected it looked like this

default=Linux

image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.22-xfs
label=Linux
initrd=/boot/initrd.gz
read-only

I checked /boot to make sure there was a vmlinuz-2.6.0-test9 and sure enough there was.

so I edited /etc/lilo.conf to read as follows:

default=Linux

image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.0-test9
label=Linux
initrd=/boot/initrd.gz
read-onl

rebooted my computer and both /var/log/dmesg and uname -r still say I'm using the 2.4.22-xfs kernel.

Is there something glaringly obvious that I'm missing here that I should have done?

horo
11-19-2003, 05:37 PM
Hi Hayabusa,

so I edited /etc/lilo.conf to read as follows:

default=Linux

image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.0-test9
label=Linux
initrd=/boot/initrd.gz
read-onl

rebooted my computer and both /var/log/dmesg and uname -r still say I'm using the 2.4.22-xfs kernel.

Is there something glaringly obvious that I'm missing here that I should have done?

Did you run /sbin/lilo after you edited lilo.conf?

Ciao Martin

Hayabusa
11-19-2003, 11:10 PM
worked like a charm. Now I can switch back and forth between kernels at my discretion, thanks.

now if i could get my scroll button on my mouse working and vmware working under the new kernel I'd stick with it