PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading manually glibc

takamine
11-20-2003, 09:47 PM
Hi

Sorry if this has been asked before but I did some search and dit not find any answers..

I have installed an old kmoppix version on my hdd and when I try to upgrade using apt-get dist-upgrade i have the following message :

Running programs may not be able to do NSS lookups until they are restarted.
Some services can not accept all authentication after extracting glibc
package into your system. This script automatically restarts some packages
for example ssh or telnetd, but other packages for example xdm
cannot restart because if it restarts automatically, then your X11 session
is disconnected. So you have to logout and stop xdm; you have to
restart all such services after upgrading glibc with your hands.
Known packages that are needed to stop before installing glibc 2.3:
xdm kdm gdm postgresql xscreensaver

This script detects services which need to stop: xdm
kdm
If you are invoking these services, please stop before upgrading.
If you want to stop upgrade for the present, please answer the below
question as No.

Since I am a total newbie to linux :oops: I was wondering how do I shutdown xdm and kdm and continue the upgrade without having to download all the files again ?

Thanks.[/i]

Stephen
11-20-2003, 11:41 PM
Hi

Since I am a total newbie to linux :oops: I was wondering how do I shutdown xdm and kdm and continue the upgrade without having to download all the files again ?

Thanks.[/i]

When you either first login or having logged out from KDE at the login screen choose the menu option and then console login login with your normal user name and password then use su enter the root password to become root. To stop kdm type /etc/init.d/kdm stop for xdm if it is running /etc/init.d/xdm stop then dselect update to update the apt/dselect database most of the packages should already be in the the apt cache if anything has changed just the changes will be downloaded again the proceed with the dist-upgrade. To get back to the KDE login screen again either restart or start kdm /etc/init.d/kdm (re)start and you now can login back in as your normal user. BTW you do not really need to dist-upgrade you can use apt-get upgrade to upgrade just the packages that you have installed.