PDA

View Full Version : An (I hope) basic networking question- linux newb

tl1moss
11-21-2003, 05:02 AM
Unfortunately, I R new to linux, and my first use of Linux has been more of neccesity then desire.... but, anyway.... here's the question:

is there a way to "browse" a windows network in Knoppix?
if so, please tell me how....

for the record, I've a laptop, a Dell Latitude CPi (old), it has WinXP (fat32 file system) on it... but never seems to work (doesn't detect network, or anything else)

using knoppix, it's detected the shared internet connection on both networks ive tried it on, but i never managed to find out how to look at a network... and since I'd like to use the laptop as a mass data transport device, It'd be useful to do...

(also, if a home drive is booted from the hd, should i be able to share it on a network?)

THANKS YALL... if anyone replies to my n00bness

rickenbacherus
11-21-2003, 12:35 PM
Unfortunately, I R new to linux, and my first use of Linux has been more of neccesity then desire.... but, anyway.... here's the question:

We understand. ;)

is there a way to "browse" a windows network in Knoppix?
if so, please tell me how....

Samba (http://www.knoppix.net/docs/index.php/FaqSambaQuick)

(read down at the bottom)

for the record, I've a laptop, a Dell Latitude CPi (old), it has WinXP (fat32 file system) on it... but never seems to work (doesn't detect network, or anything else)

WinXP- yeah that's a fairly common complaint- it doesn't work.

(also, if a home drive is booted from the hd, should i be able to share it on a network?)

A home drive?

tl1moss
11-21-2003, 01:38 PM
yeah, home drive....

tried an option to put the home drive on hd, so when booting up, to load home drive ye have to type in "home=/dev/hda1" or thereabouts...

Thanks...

tl1moss
11-24-2003, 05:19 AM
Thanks... both of the suggestions worked....

now... a new problem (and most likely the wrong forum, woohoo!)

everytime I try to access the mnt directory, comp locks up (both from the poor Latitude CPi, and a spiffy old 2.0ghz Celeron)

any ideas why that might be? (think it might be the fact ive no floppy drive in it at the time?)

that's one of those things i miss from the ole days of thinkin' i only had 64megs of ram to work with... default GUI had a very easy to find kill button.... haven't found it in X though :(