PDA

View Full Version : Adding HD, New HD Install

kgw
11-21-2003, 04:55 PM
I have read the forums and the docs but don't understand how to do this.

I have had Knoppix 3.1 running on a 12 gig hd. I used knx-hdinstall to set it up. It was the only OS on this machine and the only HD.

Yesterday I added a new larger HD as hda and made my existing drive hdb. Using Knoppix 3.3 (the Nov14/03 version) and knoppix-installer I did a debian type install to the new hd.

I formatted the new hd with a boot partition, a swap partition, a partition to install knoppix to and then a large fourth partition which I intend to make my home partition. I left the old hd, now hdb, as it was. The installer sees both drives and it did install knoppix to hda but there are several things I need to sort out.

- The large partition I intended to use for /home didn't get formatted and I haven't been able to figure out how to format it or how to get the OS to use that as /home rather than the /home directory it created in the smaller partition I put knoppix in. I did see some instructions about how to do this that ended with a note that they were not required with the new installer. I used the new installer but I didn't see any place to deal with this.

- On boot it looks like the system is using the swap partion on the old drive, now hdb, rather than the new swap partition on hda. I tried to use cfdisk when it came up during the install to go into hdb and change the type of that partiion on hdb so it wouldn't see that as a swap partiion but it said hdb was readonly and wouldn't let me do anything with it.

- I have a bunch of stuff in /home on hdb. Can I just copy that (data files, settings for mozilla, etc) to /home on hda and expect it to work?

- When I get past these things, how do I get hdb to become extra space for my /home partition that can be used in addition to /home on hda?

Thanks for any help!

Ken

ub
11-21-2003, 05:42 PM
I have read the forums and the docs but don't understand how to do this.

I have had Knoppix 3.1 running on a 12 gig hd. I used knx-hdinstall to set it up. It was the only OS on this machine and the only HD.

Yesterday I added a new larger HD as hda and made my existing drive hdb. Using Knoppix 3.3 (the Nov14/03 version) and knoppix-installer I did a debian type install to the new hd.

I formatted the new hd with a boot partition, a swap partition, a partition to install knoppix to and then a large fourth partition which I intend to make my home partition. I left the old hd, now hdb, as it was. The installer sees both drives and it did install knoppix to hda but there are several things I need to sort out.

- The large partition I intended to use for /home didn't get formatted and I haven't been able to figure out how to format it or how to get the OS to use that as /home rather than the /home directory it created in the smaller partition I put knoppix in. I did see some instructions about how to do this that ended with a note that they were not required with the new installer. I used the new installer but I didn't see any place to deal with this.
su - root
mke2fs -j /dev/hdax (x=Partitionsnummer, look up with fdisk -l /dev/hda)
mount -t ext3 /dev/hdax /mnt
mv /home/* /mnt
umount /mnt
in /etc/fstab:
/dev/hdax /home ext3 defaults 0 0
mount -a

- On boot it looks like the system is using the swap partion on the old drive, now hdb, rather than the new swap partition on hda. I tried to use cfdisk when it came up during the install to go into hdb and change the type of that partiion on hdb so it wouldn't see that as a swap partiion but it said hdb was readonly and wouldn't let me do anything with it.
mkswap /dev/hday ( y=Swappartition)
in /etc/fstab
change /dev/hdby swap swap ... to /dev/hday swap swap
swapoff /dev/hdby
swapon /dev/hday

- I have a bunch of stuff in /home on hdb. Can I just copy that (data files, settings for mozilla, etc) to /home on hda and expect it to work?
Yes

- When I get past these things, how do I get hdb to become extra space for my /home partition that can be used in addition to /home on hda?
mkdir /home/extraspace

put this in /etc/fstab
/dev/hdbz /home/extraspace ext3 defaults 0 0

or use LVM

Install Webmin a nice Browser based Frontend for Systemadministration

Thanks for any help!

Ken

kgw
11-21-2003, 08:30 PM
Wow, amazing. Thanks for all of those answers, they worked perfectly (other than mozilla not liking something in my profile as copied over).

Thanks very much.

Ken

stukennedyuk
11-21-2003, 10:17 PM
Helped me too 'ub' - I've added this to my personal 'Linux hints' file, which is getting so huge I'd better buy fanfold printer paper! (showing my age!)

(It includes gems such as:-

ffmpeg -i foo.dv -s 352x240 -vcodec mpeg1video -ab 224 -ar 44100 -ac 2 -hq -b 1150 -f vcd foo_vcd.mpg

My personal favourite!)

Thanksfor the help.

Stu.....