PDA

View Full Version : how to share files between knoppix and windows...

npyang
11-21-2003, 07:57 PM
What steps would I need to do to mount a U: drive using Knoppix.
Thanks in advance.

bubazoo
11-21-2003, 09:26 PM
What steps would I need to do to mount a U: drive using Knoppix.
Thanks in advance.

Use Samba. Samba is the program you need to use to share programs between WIndows and Linux. very nice. just run the Samba Server and you'll be all set :)

npyang
11-21-2003, 09:35 PM
Thanks bubazoo:
I know that you have to use Samba server, but do you know the command when you are in the root directory? Or perhaps know of a different method, also using samba. For example, I have used samba filesharing in konqueror for Knoppix 3.2 like:
smb://servername/sharename$
and it works fine, but on Knoppix 3.3, I am having problems authenticating.
Let me know if you have been able to share files using samba in other ways. Thanks in advance.

[/img][/quote]

budhy
11-22-2003, 02:07 AM
LinNeighborhood doesn't work on KNOPPIX 3.3! It has 'address resolve error'

npyang
11-24-2003, 11:37 PM
LinNeighborhood doesn't work on KNOPPIX 3.3! It has 'address resolve error'

-Is there a way to fix this? If so, how? Thanks...

xander
12-16-2003, 08:20 PM
I'm also experiencing both of these problems with Knoppix 3.3 (2003-11-19)
More detail:
- When I go to smb://server/share in Konqueror, it prompts me for the username/password, which I enter. However, in order to open any subfolder, I have to re-enter the un/pwd every time (sometimes twice) before I can view the contents, and then I still am denied access to the files.
- In LinNeighborhood, I find the server and view the shares, but when I try to mount a share, I always get "Can't resolve address"

Anyone know how to fix either of these problems?

alex+
12-17-2003, 03:01 AM
I often use these aliases to reach Windows 98SE from KNOPPIX

First do:
# cd /mnt
# mkdir da1

# alias win+='mount -t vfat /dev/hda1 /mnt/da1; cd /mnt/da1; ls -aF --color=auto'

# alias win-=''cd; umount /mnt/da1'

# win+
# win-

The first alias shows the contents of hda1. You can use KNOPPIX commands and do all kinds of marvelous things.

The second exits from windows. BE SURE TO USE IT.

These aliases can be saved in /root/.bashrc

alex+
12-17-2003, 03:05 AM
If you have other than Windows 98, you have to use something other than vfat in the first alias..

xander
12-18-2003, 09:19 PM
The problem actually concerns communicating with other windows machines over the network, not with accessing the Windows partition on the local drive. Thanks though.