PDA

View Full Version : cinelerra and xmovie will not run

ratscrew
11-23-2003, 08:23 AM
i just started using linux 48 hours ago so i know little to nothing about it

i go to install viarcad and i cant because it is a rpm so i use alien and it works great. i then go to do the same with cinelerra and i first cant find the program and then once i find the exe file and click on it a box apears for less then a fraction of a second and then is gone. the same thing with xmovie. do i need to install something first or install it diffrently or will it not work all together? thank for any help you can give

aay
11-24-2003, 06:18 AM
i just started using linux 48 hours ago so i know little to nothing about it

i go to install viarcad and i cant because it is a rpm so i use alien and it works great.

You would be much better off installing .deb packages via apt than trying to convert an rpm to a deb. You can read more about using apt here (http://debian.org/doc/manuals/apt-howto/index.en.html). BTW, I did a search on google for viarcad and it came back with absolutely nothing. Is this the correct spelling?

i then go to do the same with cinelerra and i first cant find the program and then once i find the exe file and click on it a box apears for less then a fraction of a second and then is gone. the same thing with xmovie.

Again, all these packages should be installable via apt. I'm not sure what you are talking about when you speak of clicking on an .exe. Linux doesn't use them (unless you use Wine). If a program isn't starting propperly you should try starting it from the command line that way you can see error messages if there are any.

do i need to install something first or install it diffrently or will it not work all together?

If you are having dependency problems, apt will solve them.