PDA

View Full Version : Dell Laptop no boot to Knoppix

embsupafly
11-23-2003, 08:02 PM
Hi,

Trying to boot a new Dell Laptop into Knoppix, here are the specs on the laptop:

Inspiron 5150
15" SXGA
Pentium 4 3.06Ghz
512MB of 333Mhz Ram
32MB nVidia Quadro FX Go5200
40GB Ultra Ata Hardrive with WinXP installed
8x DVD drive

Ok, the problem is that when I boot with the Knoppix CD, it takes me to the boot screen where I can go to the F2 key with no problem but it will not let me load the cheatcodes.txt. The problem is that once I make a selection for booting it starts to boot vmlinuz and then loading miniroot.gz and then the screen goes blank, and the CD stops spinning. I have tried just about every cheat code listed on the knoppix website to no avail. I can not load Mandrake 9.1 either, But I can load Mandrake 9.2 and Suse 8.2.

I am trying to install MDK 9.2 or Knoppix onto the drive to dual boot with WINXP but MDK 9.2 returns an error when trying to resize the NTFS partition for XP. I wanted to use the knoppix cd to see if I could use its NTFS resize.

I would like to solve the first problem of it booting vmlinuz then miniroot.gz and then the screen goes blank. Have tried a bunch of the cheat codes to include failsafe, and a bunch of the display resolution settings, still does not work.

I have even tried to boot into runlevel 2 and the same thing happens, can't boot into runlevel 2???? Can't be an X problem or a video card issue. SO what the f*ck, Chuck?

Eric

HuBBie36
11-23-2003, 08:54 PM
embsupafly,

I am having the exact same issue on a Dell Inspiron 4100. Knoppix 3.2 works great but I want to see all the new features with 3.3.

Does anyone have any clues here?

Thanks!

Stephen
11-24-2003, 12:21 AM
You may want to see this thread (http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6154#28256) for a remaster that works with your machine.