PDA

View Full Version : extra bagage

dougvega
11-23-2003, 08:03 PM
I've installed knoppix on a thinkpad 380D and everything is running nice exept my sound but thas another post my real problem is space. I only have 300 meg to spare after the install and I'd like to get rid of some extra bagage to make room for personal info and files what can I delete that is absolutly unnesesary like modules I do not use (what is the comand for deleting modules) ., Locales , Kpackage takes forever to load (did I mention I only have 48 meg of memory)
I do not want to install Knoppix Lite since it is not very stable
any help anybody???

Stephen
11-24-2003, 12:14 AM
I've installed knoppix on a thinkpad 380D and everything is running nice exept my sound but thas another post my real problem is space. I only have 300 meg to spare after the install and I'd like to get rid of some extra bagage to make room for personal info and files what can I delete that is absolutly unnesesary like modules I do not use (what is the comand for deleting modules) ., Locales , Kpackage takes forever to load (did I mention I only have 48 meg of memory)
I do not want to install Knoppix Lite since it is not very stable
any help anybody???

apt-get install localepurge and follow the instructions in the install dialog to keep only the locale(s) you need also tell it to delete the man pages as well, then dpkg -l | grep kde-i18n-* to get a list of the internationalizations that you can remove and dpkg -l | grep xserver-* for a list of the excess servers that you can remove you most likely are only using the xserver-xfree86. This should get you about a quick 300-400 mb freed up.