PDA

View Full Version : USB detected on CD boot, no USB on HD boot

hnash53
11-24-2003, 03:19 AM
USB ports are detected when Knoppix boots from the CD in the kinfocenter, but after doing a hard drive installation, USB ports are not recognized in the kinfocenter. However, during the HD boot during the verbose mode, I notice that it says "USB hub found, 2 ports" which is exactly what I have on this computer. Plus, other sections of the kinfocenter indicate IRQ assignment and the pci section mentions usb also. If you are able to offer help, please be specific because I am new to this. Thanks in advance.

aay
11-24-2003, 06:47 AM
You can see which usb devices are attached by issuing the following command

cat /proc/bus/usb/devices

In order for this to work you need the following line in /etc/fstab

none /proc/bus/usb usbdevfs defaults 0 0

hnash53
11-25-2003, 04:23 AM
Thanks for your suggestion. However, when I type in the command (I am typing it in the command line (Alt+F2) )cat/proc/bus/usb/devices, it responds by saying "Could not run the specified command!" I also put in the line below you said to into the /etc/fstab but still no USB detection after rebooting. Does the "none" have to have a slash ( / ) in front of it? I'm new to this and trying to be patient with linux. thanks for your help

You can see which usb devices are attached by issuing the following command

cat /proc/bus/usb/devices

In order for this to work you need the following line in /etc/fstab

none /proc/bus/usb usbdevfs defaults 0 0

cputoaster
01-11-2004, 08:00 AM
I learnt this yesterday. You need to do in addition to the fstab line a manual mount:

mount /proc/bus/usb

Next, you can check out the usbviewer by going through this meny Applications->Tools-> Usb view