PDA

View Full Version : NFS Confusion on home PC

bsaunders
11-24-2003, 08:06 AM
When shutting down my computer I'm seeing messages about stopping NFS daemons. As I don't want to share my directories/files over the internet, this seems like a potential security hole.

Is NFS enabled by default?
Does anyone know of a good place to start where I can understand how to confiigure/disable NFS.

Thanks for any info.

Dave_Bechtel
11-24-2003, 01:49 PM
--Lots of stuff is called at shutdown, whether the actual service is running or not.

--Run ' nmap localhost ' - it will tell you what services are running. NFS is provided by the following:
/etc/init.d/portmap, nfs-kernel-server, nfs-common.

--Here is a utility script I wrote to stop everything but ssh and squid (don't forget to chmod +x it, run as root) - BEGIN stopsvcs

#!/bin/sh
/etc/init.d/proftpd stop
/etc/init.d/vsftpd stop
/etc/init.d/portmap stop
/etc/init.d/nfs-kernel-server stop
/etc/init.d/nfs-common stop
/etc/init.d/inetd stop
/etc/init.d/ntop stop

ps ax
nmap localhost

When shutting down my computer I'm seeing messages about stopping NFS daemons. As I don't want to share my directories/files over the internet, this seems like a potential security hole.

Is NFS enabled by default?
Does anyone know of a good place to start where I can understand how to confiigure/disable NFS.

Thanks for any info.

bsaunders
11-24-2003, 03:43 PM
Thanks, that was informative and I feel much more confident now that I'm not leaving myself exposed to malicious mischief.

Brent.