PDA

View Full Version : Knoppix problem

the_halfling
11-24-2003, 03:54 PM
Greetings:

I have been getting the I/O , cloop:readerrors, and kmod errors that most people seem to attribute to a bad disk.

I have burned two images form different servers, check the sums on each and burned at a slower speed just in case. I recieve the exact same errors from both disks. however either disk can boot on my laptop without error.

Any ideas on this problem? I will include my workstations hardware below as the only conclution I can come to is that there is a hardware conflict of some sort.

Athlon 1.4 Ghz
1 GB RAM (Correctly detected by the Knoppix disk)
nVidia GeFroce3 Ti200
Soundblaster Audigy Gamer
Plextor CD-R PX-W4012A
Monitor Dell P991
3C905B-TX NIC
Abit KG7-RAID mobo (RAID controller disabled)

Thanks in advance for any advice

horo
11-24-2003, 04:06 PM
Hi halfling,

try the "standard" cheatcodes at the boot prompt:
knoppix noapic nosmp

Ciao Martin

the_halfling
11-24-2003, 06:47 PM
Now I feel really dumb. I tried several chets but not those. I will go give it a shot when I get home.

Thanks a bunch!

PS if anyone can explain the technical reason that somethign like this may be happenning or point me to it I woudl love to know.

the_halfling
11-25-2003, 01:25 AM
Unfortunatly those codes did not work. I have tried to check the CD as well but it seems that the failure occurs before the test can be run.

Thank you again.

All sugesstions are welcome.

Stephen
11-25-2003, 03:32 AM
Unfortunatly those codes did not work. I have tried to check the CD as well but it seems that the failure occurs before the test can be run.

Thank you again.

All sugesstions are welcome.

Have you went into the BIOS and turned off the Plug'n'Play OS option if you have one. Swap in some different hardware if you have it laying around for the video card, nic and sound. Maybe even take a stick of RAM out or switch them around if you have more than 1 in the machine. And if anything is in the slot next to the AGP if you are using it move it out of there.