PDA

View Full Version : How to watch the boot sequence?

wfb
11-25-2003, 12:58 AM
By default my screen blanks during the boot process. That's not helpful when the boot process hangs and I want to diagnose the problem. How can I watch Knoppix boot?

Stephen
11-25-2003, 03:16 AM
By default my screen blanks during the boot process. That's not helpful when the boot process hangs and I want to diagnose the problem. How can I watch Knoppix boot?

Try using vga=normal for a cheat code (http://www.knoppix.net/docs/index.php/CheatCodes) when you boot. If this does not work could you post more details on the hardware in the machine and how you are trying to boot eg from CD or HD.

wfb
11-25-2003, 06:36 AM
Crikey! does that mean it's not supposed to blank? I thought that was a "feature" of Knoppix.

I was booting from the hard drive -- but the boot sequence wasn't finishing so I've deleted the HD install. However the same applies when I boot from a CD.

My computer is a Toshiba Satellite 4060xcdt laptop -- Knoppix doesn't recognise the built-in video, but it generally works fine once the boot sequence finishes.

Cheat codes are:

knoppix screen=1280x1024 lang=US wheelmouse

Incidentally, if the screen cheat code doesn't come first in the list, it doesn't work. Is this significant?

wfb
11-27-2003, 12:09 AM
I can see the boot sequence fine with Knoppix 3.3

stukennedyuk
11-27-2003, 09:22 PM
I noticed that the live CD boot hides the more complicated (unnerving?) bits and that the Debian style HD install doesn't! Klaus's clever autoconfig script sends some messages to 'null' - that's about all I could follow when I took a look at it!

Stu.....

Dave_Bechtel
12-05-2003, 03:27 AM
--And I wish he wouldn't do that. ;-) I'm a computer guy, I *LIKE* to see the bootup messages. 'Sfine by me to put them in another window/VT and leave the default screen "clean" for a nice-looking bootup, but I miss not being able to see the kernel messages with Knoppix live-cds.

I noticed that the live CD boot hides the more complicated (unnerving?) bits and that the Debian style HD install doesn't! Klaus's clever autoconfig script sends some messages to 'null' - that's about all I could follow when I took a look at it!

Stu.....

rdt
12-06-2003, 12:23 AM
--And I wish he wouldn't do that. ;-) I'm a computer guy, I *LIKE* to see the bootup messages. 'Sfine by me to put them in another window/VT and leave the default screen "clean" for a nice-looking bootup, but I miss not being able to see the kernel messages with Knoppix live-cds.

Change the boot.img the way you like it & remaster. Thats what
open software is all about.

Dave_Bechtel
12-06-2003, 01:39 AM
Too much work for too little gain. I'd have to do it for every Kpx rev.

Change the boot.img the way you like it & remaster. Thats what
open software is all about.