PDA

View Full Version : USB Hub problem

oldgeezer
11-25-2003, 10:37 AM
Although something about 'usb hub c' flashes past on the boot screen, I cannot seem to activate my generic internal 4-port hub (switched on in BIOS). I looked at all the advice from 'search', but none directly applies to hubs. There was no entry in etc/modules.conf referring to usb-controller, for example, although there were references to usb in etc/modules that I didn't fully understand. What is uhci? It works fine in W98 with the generic hub driver. Any help greatfully received, thanks.
OG.

oldgeezer
11-27-2003, 09:59 AM
Sorry, chaps - I just cannot make any progress with this. I have both a USB hub and a usb card reader attached. I cannot print through the hub; not sure about the card reader. The dmesg|grep usb gives:

usb.c: registered new driver usbdevfs
usb.c: registered new driver hub
usb-ohci.c: USB OHCI at membase 0xd284e000, IRQ 10
usb-ohci.c: usb-00:02.3, Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] 7001 (#2)
usb.c: new USB bus registered, assigned bus number 1
usb-ohci.c: USB OHCI at membase 0xd2850000, IRQ 5
usb-ohci.c: usb-00:02.2, Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] 7001
usb.c: new USB bus registered, assigned bus number 2
usb.c: registered new driver usb-storage
usb.c: registered new driver dsbr100

without a CF card attached.
There is no entry in /proc/bus/usb/devices.
Basically, this dumbo doesn't understand what is required to be done! Your help would be most appreciated, please.
OG.

Heiko
11-27-2003, 01:55 PM
Hi,

I seem to have a similar problem, my USB2 Compact Flash Card Reader is not recognized - given that I don't have any other USB devices, I can't even tell if the USB interface works at all. Mind: I am a neebie with Linux/knoppix, so I may very well make some stupid mistakes...

Some details:
- I'm using Knoppix 3.2 (Linux 2.4.20-xfs)

- no manufacturer is known for the Flash Card Reader (just "manufactured in China"). There comes a readme with the reader though, quoting a Linux-HOWTO on how to rebuild a kernel with support for this device. Relevant to me seem to be some configuration hints:
Support for USB = m
UHCI Alternate Drive(JE) or OHCI (Compaq,iMacs,OPTi,SiS,ALi,...) support = m
USB Mass storage support = m
Preliminary USB device filesystem = y

-"dmesg | grep usb" gives
usb-uhci.c: $Revision: 1.275 $ time 19:01:21 Jan 29 2003
usb-uhci.c: High bandwidth mode enabled
usb-uhci.c: USB UHCI at I/O 0xd400, IRQ 11
usb-uhci.c: Detected 2 ports
usb-uhci.c: USB UHCI at I/O 0xd800, IRQ 11
usb-uhci.c: v1.275:USB Universal Host Controller Interface driver
usb_control/bulk_msg: timeout
usb.c: USB device not accepting new address=2 (error=-110)
usb_control/bulk_msg: timeout
usb.c: USB device not accepting new address=3 (error=-110)

- the power led of the reader is on during the first part of the boot process, but it goes out near the "usb-uhci.c: v1.275:USB Universal Host Controller Interface driver" message.

- "lspci - v" gives for usb
00:07.2 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. USB (rev 16) (prog-if 00 [UHCI])
Subsystem: VIA Technologies, Inc. (Wrong ID) USB Controller
Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 32, IRQ 11
I/O ports at d400 [size=32]
Capabilities: [80] Power Management version 2

00:07.3 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. USB (rev 16) (prog-if 00 [UHCI])
Subsystem: VIA Technologies, Inc. (Wrong ID) USB Controller
Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 32, IRQ 11
I/O ports at d800 [size=32]
Capabilities: [80] Power Management version 2

- "cat /proc/scsi/scsi" gives
Attached devices:
Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 00 Lun: 00
Vendor: LG Model: CD-ROM CRD-8521B Rev: 1.03
Type: CD-ROM ANSI SCSI revision: 02

Additionally, the usb-storage module is not loaded (how do I add it to be loaded automatically anyway?) - I can load it manually, but that doesn't change a thing. And I tried already booting with and without a CF-Card inserted in the reader.

Any help would be appreciated

Heiko

oldgeezer
11-30-2003, 04:02 PM
We don't seem to be generating much interest, Heiko! Surprising? With over ninety viewers, there must be a need out there?
OG.

aay
12-01-2003, 01:06 AM
Although something about 'usb hub c' flashes past on the boot screen, I cannot seem to activate my generic internal 4-port hub (switched on in BIOS). OG.

This is just a thought, but have you tried disabling it in your bios as well? This seems to be needed in order to get some devices (e.g. some sound cards) to work under knoppix. Also if you want to see the complete text of what's flashing past you on the screen, simply go to a shell and do this:

dmesg |more

This will display all those messages that you see when you boot up. Press the space bar to see more. If you want to write all this to a file then just do this:

dmesg > dmest.txt

This will save all of this info to a file called dmesg.txt in your home directory. I have found that checking these messages is an essential part of doing trouble shooting in linux. Then you can post back here as well as google on anything that shows up.

Do try the bios thing though. Perhaps it's getting assigned to the wrong com port.

Adam

oldgeezer
12-01-2003, 03:49 PM
Adam rides to the rescue again! Very many thanks for those helpful c omments. There are a couple of problems in my case: the K7S5A doesn't have full disable function for USB1 header and would require an AMIbpc fix or w.h.y. The second problem is the caddy system I'm now operating on this machine, so am anxious to avoid BIOS changes every time I swap h/ds and OSs! Notwithstanding, I'll experiment next time the opportunity arises.
Nice to have your advice, most appreciated.
OG.

oldgeezer
12-03-2003, 08:46 AM
You may have stumbled on something, aay. The K7S5A (Cheepoman) BIOS has an item 'USB function for DOS' in Peripherals. I usually have this switched off, but switching it on reinstates my printer in the Printer Manager! It still doesn't print, though (yet!), either through the backplane connectors or the hub. I also switched the DOS flat mode back on in Advanced, although this shouldn't influence events. I guess Linux is a Disc Operating System - that's the attraction. All this represents quite a problem for a caddied system! It is unacceptable to change the BIOS everytime I switch h/d + OS. Fortunately, I will be able to use my dual purpose printer on the parallel port. So much for the universal move to USB devices! There isn't a lot of point in moving printers off the parallel port. It is just as fast as USB1.1; USB2.0 won't be much faster because the delays are elsewhere, especially for ink jets. A switch box is no more of a problem than a hot-plug device. Printer and m/b manufacturers would do well to ignore all that bad advice to dump the parallel port - propaganda masquerading as technical progress, again?!
OG.

aay
12-03-2003, 06:45 PM
You may have stumbled on something, aay. The K7S5A (Cheepoman) BIOS has an item 'USB function for DOS' in Peripherals. I usually have this switched off, but switching it on reinstates my printer in the Printer Manager! It still doesn't print, though (yet!),

I usually set up my printer via the kcontrol center as it sounds like you are trying to do. I've seen some other posts suggest trying to set up directly via the web interface for cups.

Open a browser and go to: localhost:631

See if that helps.

Adam

rhughes
12-04-2003, 08:16 AM
Heiko, the messages you're getting from dmesg look a lot like the ones I was getting with my USB printer. In particular, the "device not accepting address" errors look like the ones I had.

Have you tried booting with "knoppix noapic"? The FAQ list on linux-usb.org suggests this as one of several possible solutions if you are getting this error message. I don't understand what it does, but it solved the problem I was having with my printer.

oldgeezer
12-04-2003, 10:42 AM
APIC can be switched off in BIOS, and should be, unless you tangle with WXP! Important not to confuse with ACPI, which I think isn't supported, either, in 2.4?
OG.

Heiko
12-04-2003, 02:26 PM
I have now tried various combinations of BIOS switches (enable/disable USB, assign IRQ to USB or not, enable/disable ACPI) and boot options (noapic, acpi=off, pci=noacpi), and nothing works - it looks like my USB controller is not going to work with my Linux version. :(

Oh well... I have gotten myself a CompactFlash-to-IDE adapter now, which means rebooting my system every time I want to change the cf-card, but which works otherwise well, so I can do without USB. Thanks to everybody who hast tried to help !

Heiko

oldgeezer
12-05-2003, 07:10 AM
You are not alone, Heiko. I've tried a load of BIOS options, too. From the dmesg listing it seems that all my usb kit is present and correctly recognised. It seems that something needs to be activated/pointed at/whatever it's called and that's my problem. I have no idea what information to post here and what questions to ask. It seems pointless posting reams of output to bore everyone. Afraid we need to bribe the experts like aay, ricky and Stephen to take pity on us!
OG.
PS. When I switch APIC off in BIOS (which I always do, not being a WXP user) the Live K3.2 version switches it back ON!

oldgeezer
12-07-2003, 11:44 AM
It must be something I'm not doing. The SuSE live CD not only installs USB but also correctly recognises the printer attached therethrough. The printer list as well as the printer remain stubbornly absent from the print manager, however. Same problem. Some kind of file/device association is missing? Please can one of the gurus assist? It's got to be a simple answer? Is there a generic instruction available to deal with this problem?
Many Thanks,
OG.

oldgeezer
12-18-2003, 09:04 AM
Well, the 3.3 CD works exactly as advertised - everything seems to work, including USB hub. The problems only seem to arise in the installed version. Curious?
OG.

cputoaster
01-11-2004, 07:53 AM
Hello Heiko,
I saw you post on knoppix.net and would like to ask you a question:
How do you load usb-storage manually? I have a Knoppix hard disk installed laptop with UHCI and usbviewer has detected the hub. I don't have usb-storage in my /proc/bus/usb. I can't do a make menuconfig as suggested by linux-usb.org because I don't know which directory I am supposed to it, plus I don't know how to recompile the kernel. I can't get any devices other than the hub to appeeat in usbviewer.When trying with a scanner, using dmesg I get errors about the USB devices not accepting the new address.
Please help. Thanks,
Frank

Stephen
01-11-2004, 08:20 AM
Hello Heiko,
I saw you post on knoppix.net and would like to ask you a question:
How do you load usb-storage manually? I have a Knoppix hard disk installed laptop with UHCI and usbviewer has detected the hub. I don't have usb-storage in my /proc/bus/usb. I can't do a make menuconfig as suggested by linux-usb.org because I don't know which directory I am supposed to it, plus I don't know how to recompile the kernel. I can't get any devices other than the hub to appeeat in usbviewer.When trying with a scanner, using dmesg I get errors about the USB devices not accepting the new address.
Please help. Thanks,
Frank

To load manually as root modprobe usb-storage the module should already be on the system to have it load every time on boot edit the file /etc/modules and add the usb-storage on a line by itself this also done as root.

cputoaster
01-11-2004, 08:37 AM
Thanks, I did that and the usb-storage appeared properly in /proc/bus/usb/drivers. I still have the problem of the USB device not accepting the new address as given by "dmesg |grep USB".

arkaoss
02-26-2004, 08:41 PM
HELP~! and hello

I think i have encountered similar problems
I am not able to see AANY devices with USB view, and yet previously with A cd image, I saw devices fine.

here's the obligatory grep results:

usb-uhci.c: $Revision: 1.275 $ time 20:50:29 Oct 3 2003
usb-uhci.c: High bandwidth mode enabled
usb-uhci.c: USB UHCI at I/O 0xd800, IRQ 10
usb-uhci.c: USB UHCI at I/O 0xd000, IRQ 10
usb-uhci.c: USB UHCI at I/O 0xd400, IRQ 11
usb.c: new USB bus registered, assigned bus number 3
usb-uhci.c: v1.275:USB Universal Host Controller Interface driver
usb.c: USB device 2 (vend/prod 0x402/0x5621) is not claimed by any active driver.
usb.c: USB disconnect on device 00:1d.1-1 address 2
usb.c: USB disconnect on device 00:1d.1-1 address 3
usb.c: USB disconnect on device 00:1d.1-1 address 4

I tried to mod usb-storage but don't seem to see any change/... I will check out linux-usb.org