PDA

View Full Version : Using knoppix to backup XP to USB HD

monkymind
12-04-2002, 10:13 AM
Hi knoppix people,
I've a friend who has a laptop with XP (fat32) 10G on it plus an external 40G USB HD.

What I'm trying to find out is what is the best way to backup the laptop's HD image to the USB HD (or restore) under knoppix??

"dd"-ing ...? Or just backup via kbackup or similar? Other??

Thank you :-)
rob

eadz
12-04-2002, 10:29 AM
cp ?
"man cp" for options..

aay
12-04-2002, 07:00 PM
Personally, I have not yet used this utility but you may want to try the partimage tool found on knoppix. You can find info on this tool at www.partimage.org. This should help if he needs to backup and restore the partition in a norton ghost like way.

If he's just trying to backup files then I suggest taring and zipping.

tar -czvf /mnt/windows_files /mnt/usb_drive

Just make sure the first partition is mounted and readable and the second is mounted and writeable.

Dave_Bechtel
12-04-2002, 09:47 PM
--Personally, I use ' mc ' for most all my copying needs. Insert-key to highlight files, Tab to move to the other window, cd to destination dir, Tab again to get back to the source window, and F5 to copy. Anything I have to delete, ' mc ' is a must. I've been Root for over 5 years now, and never trashed a filesystem due to a mistyped ' rm ' command.

--Warn: Tar, gzip, bzip2, bash, cat, etc. all suffer from a 2GB filesize limitation. I'll be writing a note to the Debian developers demanding to have this fixed before the next release. In this world of cheap 160GB drives, ancient 2GB filesize limits are completely out of the question!

Personally, I have not yet used this utility but you may want to try the partimage tool found on knoppix. You can find info on this tool at www.partimage.org. This should help if he needs to backup and restore the partition in a norton ghost like way.

Just make sure the first partition is mounted and readable and the second is mounted and writeable.

aay
12-05-2002, 12:08 AM
Yuck! Please do write them. I didn't know that. I have only used this to backup files onto a cd-r/rw so I guess that's why I haven't had any problems. If i ever get a dvd-r/rw though this would become a problem. I should buy some more hard drives! Thanks

monkymind
12-05-2002, 03:17 AM

This is exactly what I was trying to find! 8) Thanks!

rob

Dave_Bechtel
12-05-2002, 06:21 AM
--Actually I was completely wrong about the 2GB filesize limitation. SuSE 7.3 suffers from this, Debian does not. My apologies for the confusion.

--Personally, I use ' mc ' for most all my copying needs. Insert-key to highlight files, Tab to move to the other window, cd to destination dir, Tab again to get back to the source window, and F5 to copy. Anything I have to delete, ' mc ' is a must. I've been Root for over 5 years now, and never trashed a filesystem due to a mistyped ' rm ' command.

--Warn: Tar, gzip, bzip2, bash, cat, etc. all suffer from a 2GB filesize limitation. I'll be writing a note to the Debian developers demanding to have this fixed before the next release. In this world of cheap 160GB drives, ancient 2GB filesize limits are completely out of the question!

aay
12-05-2002, 07:55 AM
Not a problem. It's easy to get things mixed up. Thanks for posting a reply.

Phredd
12-22-2002, 06:46 PM
I was messing around with partimaged and got the following error on use:

knoppix@ttyp2[knoppix]$ partimaged
partimaged: error while loading shared libraries: libstdc++libc6.2-2.so.3: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Any idea anyone?i

aay
12-23-2002, 12:53 AM
I was looking at some posts over at the linuxtag site earlier today and I remember reading that others were having this problem. Someone chimed in that there is a bug that affects partimage in the 12-12 release. You may want to look over there and see what else is said about the issue. Hopefully, if there is a bug, it will get reported back to Klaus

MrMayhem
08-27-2004, 10:43 AM
Hi! Did you get partimage to work for you? I'm intereseted in doing the exact same thing on a couple of IBM laptops. The thing is that these laptops (T41, 41 and 42:s) comes with a "hidden" partition for restoring. It would be nice to be able to clone those partitions as well... Norton Ghost can't handle it for sure...

/Bo

j.drake
08-27-2004, 09:17 PM
--Actually I was completely wrong about the 2GB filesize limitation. SuSE 7.3 suffers from this, Debian does not. My apologies for the confusion.

Hang on, Dave. It's funny you mentioned 2 GB as a limitation. I just came across a situation in which I think I hit that limitation in the newest release of Knoppix.

http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=57775#57775

As you can see, I tried to save my configuration, but it failed once I hit a 2 gig wall. There's a 2 gig limit somewhere here.

Any ideas?

jd

Dave_Bechtel
08-28-2004, 04:01 AM
--Well, in that post you mentioned that config.tbz had hit two Megabytes; I was talking about 2 Gigabytes. AFAIK, the 2GB filesize limit applies only to FAT32 filesystems and the ' zip ' program.

Hang on, Dave. It's funny you mentioned 2 GB as a limitation. I just came across a situation in which I think I hit that limitation in the newest release of Knoppix.

http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=57775#57775

As you can see, I tried to save my configuration, but it failed once I hit a 2 gig wall. There's a 2 gig limit somewhere here.

Any ideas?

jd

j.drake
08-28-2004, 04:05 AM
Oh don't be so picky! It was only three orders of magnitude. Sheesh! :wink:

Thanks,

jd