PDA

View Full Version : Boot CD from boot floppy

boehmb
02-03-2003, 03:51 AM
Is it possible to make a boot CD that will act exactly like the boot floppy made with mkfloppy.bat on the Knoppix CD? I tried it but even when I changed the BIOS to boot from CD, it booted Win98 from the hard drive. I am running Knoppix off the hard drive and want to leave my config floppy in the floppy drive.

Sucker
02-03-2003, 05:35 AM
rawrite2 -f boot-en.img -d A

I would assume replacing "A" with the CD burner might work
question would be
when booting to Knoppix, does it need write access?
If it does, then it wouldn't work
Will run a test this evening

boehmb
02-03-2003, 08:06 PM
Oops! I forget to choose "make CD bootable" when making the CD. I'll try that tonight.

boehmb
02-04-2003, 12:14 AM
I tried making a boot CD from the boot floppy and couldn't. In Nero and EZ CD Creator, you can choose 'make bootable CD' but when the program looks at the floppy as the source it says it isn't bootable. I also tried making an ISO 9660 CD with all the floppy files on it but that didn't work either. There must be a way...

tuxtom
02-04-2003, 01:31 AM
Oops! I forget to choose "make CD bootable" when making the CD. I'll try that tonight.
You don't need to - and you should not "make CD bootlable"!
The KNOPPIX.iso file is already an image of a bootable CD.
Just use in nero the function: Burn iso image ...
And you will get a bootable CD rom.

tom

boehmb
02-04-2003, 02:20 AM
Tuxtom, thanks for your reply. But I have the Knoppix CD and it works great. I'm trying to make a boot CD from the boot floppy. I have the Knoppix files on my hard drive, but use a boot floppy to access them. I wanted to make a boot CD and just leave it in my second CD-ROM drive so the computer boots to Knoppix by default (as long as the boot CD is in). I use the floppy for my Knoppix config. If I can't do it, it's OK, I just wondered if there was a way.....

eadz
02-04-2003, 02:49 AM
Tuxtom, thanks for your reply. But I have the Knoppix CD and it works great. I'm trying to make a boot CD from the boot floppy. I have the Knoppix files on my hard drive, but use a boot floppy to access them. I wanted to make a boot CD and just leave it in my second CD-ROM drive so the computer boots to Knoppix by default (as long as the boot CD is in). I use the floppy for my Knoppix config. If I can't do it, it's OK, I just wondered if there was a way.....

I think I understand....

Check these things :
* your harddrive with KNOPPIX on is not ntfs
* you have a directory called "KNOPPIX" either in / (root ) so /KNOPPIX for linux filesystems, or C:\KNOPPIX for fat32 filesystems
* you have the really big KNOPPIX file in /KNOPPIX/ or C:\KNOPPIX
i.e. you have C:\KNOPPIX\KNOPPIX

You can use the standard knoppix cd to boot from, if you have those files above, it will search the harddrive before the cdrom, and use those.
it will say "accessing CDROM in /dev/hda1" or similar if your partition is /dev/hda1

Sucker
02-04-2003, 03:28 AM
You don't need to - and you should not "make CD bootlable"!
The KNOPPIX.iso file is already an image of a bootable CD.
Just use in nero the function: Burn iso image ...
And you will get a bootable CD rom.

tom

I tried to extract the image using isobuster but I can't
let me try and figure how to extract the img and burn the contents to a CD

eadz
02-04-2003, 03:34 AM
I tried to extract the image using isobuster but I can't
let me try and figure how to extract the img and burn the contents to a CD

Put the cd in the drive.. and drag the files across?
( once you've burned the knoppix cd. using "burn image" from the file menu of nero )

Sucker
02-04-2003, 03:56 AM
Knoppix.iso burned to a CD
Copied the contents of the CD to my hard disk
Fireup Nero to burn an image of boot-en.img to CD
Results?
=a brand new coaster

eadz
02-04-2003, 04:05 AM
Knoppix.iso burned to a CD
Copied the contents of the CD to my hard disk
Fireup Nero to burn an image of boot-en.img to CD
Results?
=a brand new coaster

you don't need to.
if you have the KNOPPIX files layed out properly on your harddisk, the full knoppix will do what you want it to, only accessing the harddrive, and not the files on the cd.

Sucker
02-04-2003, 04:29 AM
What the original poster wanted was;

1. Bootup the computer from a CD Rom
2. Leave the Knoppix CD in the second CD Rom
(may not be necessary if contents of the Knoppix CD are copied to the hard disk)
3. Leave a diskette in the floppy to hold the "save configuration" files

I do have the following suggestions though I am not sure whether it will work.

1. Bootup the computer from the floppy.
2. Leave the Knoppix CD in the CD Rom
(may not be necessary if contents of the Knoppix CD are copied to the hard disk)
3. Burn the contents "save configuration" files to a CD and place it in the 2nd CD Rom
and hopefully find a method for Knoppix to detect the second CD that holds the "save configuration" files

Knewbie
02-04-2003, 06:25 AM
You can use the standard knoppix cd to boot from, if you have those files above, it will search the harddrive before the cdrom, and use those.

For what it's worth, on my system it appears that Knoppix tries the cdrom first. In fact, I'm running from the cdrom right now, even though the /knoppix directory is also on the hd. If I want to run Knoppix from the hd, the cdrom drive must be empty or contain something other than the bootable Knoppix CD.

Sucker
02-04-2003, 06:51 AM
Knoppix is copied to my hard disk and I boot from the floppy instead of the CD

at the boot prompt, after I enter knoppix floopyconfig, it searches my hard disk and mount the partition where the Knoppix folder lies
when I log off, my CD rom tray does not eject since there is no CD

sepht
02-11-2003, 04:23 AM
Nice to know I'm not the only floopyconfig'er.
There must be thousands of us.

Regards,
One Floopy Newbie

PS: I'm wondering if anyone knows how to specify to boot disk to look for knoppix on my D: drive?

oscar
02-11-2003, 06:11 AM
PS: I'm wondering if anyone knows how to specify to boot disk to look for knoppix on my D: drive?

you may try loadlin for booting
edit autoexec.bat with this

a:\loadlin.exe a:\vmlinuz rw lang=en floppyconfig root=/dev/hdb1 initrd=a:\miniroot.gz screen=800x600

vmlinux miniroot.gz are in the boot floopy
/dev/hda1 is c:
/dev/hdb1 is d: in hd 2 (or /dev/hdc1 if d: is a partition in hd 1)
lang en=knoppix lang=en
floppyconfig=knoppix floppyconfig etc etc etc

or boot from de hard disk (floppyless)

c:\loadlin.exe c:\vmlinuz rw lang=en floppyconf root=/dev/hda1 initrd=c:\miniroot.gz screen=800x600

oscar
02-11-2003, 06:29 AM
Is it possible to make a boot CD that will act exactly like the boot floppy made with mkfloppy.bat on the Knoppix CD? I tried it but even when I changed the BIOS to boot from CD, it booted Win98 from the hard drive. I am running Knoppix off the hard drive and want to leave my config floppy in the floppy drive.

use Nero option to copy the floppy image to a CD-R

CDROM(boot)
bootable image:c:\boot-en.img (it is in Knoppix CD)
Enable expert settings (for advanced users only)
Kind of emulation : Floppy emulation 1.44mb