PDA

View Full Version : HDInstall using loadlin problem when starting X11 GUI

JechiD
11-26-2003, 04:21 AM
Loadlin
This page need organizing and some translation cleanup, I'll try and do it later. There is another possibility for people who don't have a floppy or CD-ROM drive, don't want to or can't mess with lilo, and only have dos or win95/98 with the knoppix iso extracted on to any hard drive partion. Loadlin (be sure you have 1.6c!! 1.6 has lots of issues with many recent kernels). It is a simple program to load the linux kernel into memory. It's sort of mentioned above:

extract loadlin.exe from that zip and extract the kernel from the KNOPPIX/boot.img file with software like WinImage (download installer) then move both the miniroot.gz and vmlinuz files into for instance c:/img. Boot to dos.

C:> cd img
C:> loadlin.exe vmlinuz root=/dev/hda1 initrd=miniroot.gz lang=en ro

And with any luck Knoppix will load fine, like normal.

Hello,

I found this great how-to in one of the how-to docs. And it -- almost -- worked great. When the boot process came to the point to active the X11 session it the screen blinked serveral times (perhaps trying different configurations or modes) and then an error message appeared beside a prompt that could be loaded.

In the end the error message says:

Retrying with Server XFree86(vesa)
Retrying with Server XFree86(fbdev)
Error: No suitable X-Server found for your card

However, when starting Knoppix from the CD it works great and i get to a running system -- albeit extreemly slow.

appreciating any help

Daniel

Knoppix

Chielos
11-26-2003, 03:46 PM
Hi

I've got the same problem here.
I started the cd with knoppix vga=normal screen=800x600 xmodule=s3 xserver=XF86_SVGA

and it worked great so install it with knx-hdinstall and i got no view. So i started the cd again with the same cheat and copied the XF86Config file and XF86Config-4 file. But now I get the same errors as my friend above here.

Please let me know, your help is welcome!

Michiel