PDA

View Full Version : Problems installing programs with java

sjlinux
11-26-2003, 08:29 PM
I have tried to install two programs which require the j2re1.4 and the j2sdk1.4 without any luck. It goes through the download and unpacking, but when it goes to set it up, I get a message that there were errors. There are no real error messages, to display. The two programs I tried installing were Eclipse IDE and Freetv. The actual program does install, but there is no java support to make it work.

I apologize for the lack of info, but I am not near my PC, and just remembered to do it. I do run an apt-get update everytime I logon to my laptop, and I run autoclean once a week.

Nick

baldyeti
11-27-2003, 02:54 AM
My HD-installed knoppix is a few months old, but I think
it's still BlackDown 1.4.1 that's bundled. It's a JRE, not
a JDK, but it seems to suffice for me to launch eclipse.
Try defining "export JAVA_HOME=/usr/lib/j2se/1.4/jre/" -
although you shouldn't have to...

sjlinux
11-27-2003, 07:30 AM
Here is the error I am receiving. Thanks.

<snip>
Setting up j2re1.4 (1.4.0.99beta-1) ...
update-alternatives: unable to make /usr/lib/mozilla-cvs/plugins/javaplugin_oji.so.dpkg-tmp a symlink to /etc/alternatives/javaplugin_oji-mozilla-cvs.so: No such file or directory
dpkg: error processing j2re1.4 (--configure):
subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 2
Errors were encountered while processing:
j2re1.4
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
</snip>

baldyeti
11-27-2003, 01:39 PM
Here is the error I am receiving...
When doing/typing what? Your knoppix is installed to HD,
isn't it? Which version is it? 1.4.0.99beta-1 looks even older
than what I have... Is this what "java -version" returns as well?

sjlinux
11-27-2003, 03:22 PM
That is the latest in my apt repositories. I do an apt-get update everytime I logon to the computer, so I am keeping my apt cache up to date. I just updated apt, so I am hoping that may fix my problem. If not, I will need to work on other things to try and fix it.

Nick

baldyeti
11-27-2003, 03:54 PM
"apt-get update" just keeps your list of available packages synchronised
with the repositories present in your /etc/apt/sources.list file,
it does _not_ download/install anything.

So, when do you see those error messages? When trying to launch
a java program from the CLI? What do "type java" and "java -version"
return? Also, do applets work under mozilla/konqueror?
That would indicate a properly working jre...

sjlinux
11-27-2003, 04:59 PM
type java gives me -> /usr/bin/java
java --version gives me -> Could not create the Java virtual machine

So Java is installed, the virtual machine is not.

I am aware of the apt-get update not installing anything on your PC. I was just saying that I always keep my repositories up to date.

Thanks,
Nick

baldyeti
11-27-2003, 06:56 PM
Oops, it looks like your java's broken indeed. Do you actually see anything
under /usr/lib/j2se/1.4/jre/ ? That's where the BlackDown jre lives.
I don't know what the debian package name would be to install using apt-get.
I suggest you download 1.4.2 from Sun instead. Choose the plain jre/jdk
(your choice) rather than the netbeans co-bundle. The latter wouldn't install
under debian for me. Netbeans is available separately if you want to compare
it to eclipse.

Cheers,

--bald.

times_r_shitty
02-24-2004, 11:59 AM
Let me start off by saying that I'm not very savy with Linux ... thus why I have a Knoppix HD installation as opposed to Slackware or Gentoo or FreeBSD or something else that requires one to devote ones life solely to the study its arcane scrolls and grimoires.

If I could comfortably afford it, or if I had a better credit rating, I'd have a G5 Powerbook with OSX, two 2Ghz 64-bit CPUs and a couple of those nifty wide screen 23" flat screen monitors, etc... But, the last time that I checked, purely for shits and giggles mind you, such a system cost $10,731.95, which is $5000.00 more than I paid for my car, give or take. So here we are.

Now to the point, I've had similar problems in trying to download a version of Java that will work in conjunction with Moziila Firefox 0.8.0+. I believe, and mind you I barely know what any of this means, that because the afore mentioned version of Firefox was compiled with a recent version of GCC (gcc-3.2 I think) it won't work with the older version of java installed by default on Knoppix (build Blackdown-1.4.1-beta).

Let me add that java works on my computer. The older java/plugin works fine with Konqueror. I just won't work with Firefox.

Apparently you need (j2sdk1.4.2_03) in order for Firefox 0.8.0+'s plugin to work. My dilemma is that there doesn't seem to be a way to apt-get any other version of java. I tried to apt-get install j2re1.4 j2sdk1.4 from someones private sources repository, as this was the newest one that I could find reference to for Debian. This was a complete failure as well. This is the error message that I got during the post-download configuration ...

Setting up j2re1.4 (1.4.0.99beta-1) ...
update-alternatives: unable to make /usr/lib/mozilla-cvs/plugins/javaplugin_oji.so.dpkg-tmp a symlink to /etc/alternatives/javaplugin_oji-mozilla-cvs.so: No such file or directory
dpkg: error processing j2re1.4 (--configure):
subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 2
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of j2sdk1.4:
j2sdk1.4 depends on j2re1.4 (= 1.4.0.99beta-1); however:
Package j2re1.4 is not configured yet.
dpkg: error processing j2sdk1.4 (--configure):
dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
Errors were encountered while processing:

There doesn't seem to be a mozilla-cvs folder or package anywhere on my system, and of course You cannot apt-get one.

Package mozilla-cvs is not available, but is referred to by another package.
This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or
is only available from another source
However the following packages replace it: mozilla-snapshot

My question is has anyone gotten Java to work with FireFox 0.8.0+, and is so, how?