PDA

View Full Version : Knoppix on a DVD?

InstallScript
02-03-2003, 06:36 AM
Has anyone tried using a DVDr to run Knoppix? Once I get a CD customised the way I need it, I am going to try.

audioaficionado
02-04-2003, 04:18 AM
The main advantage I see would to have over twice the room for apps and kernel variants without having to use the compression algorithms to slow down performance.

Main con: Won't work on older systems with hardware constraints that prevent using DVD. (Like my PPro200 SMP box)

Tigren
02-04-2003, 05:52 AM
another con is price of media, price of burner, not everyone has dvd drivers, and i dont know about this one, but can u boot from dvd?

aay
02-04-2003, 06:32 PM
I have also heard Mr Knopper say that the larger Knoppix becomes the slower it will become since Knoppix is basically one big file on the CD that has to be uncompressed. Having said this I don't know how much slower things would get and if it would be an issue. I suppose memory would be a big factor here.

zzyzx
02-08-2003, 06:02 AM
I really hope someone makes a dvd knoppix distro. So maybe in 1-2 years when DVD disks are $0.25, you can then have a system where you never need to download or install a program. That is very possible.

For example you might have 1,000 games to play. 50 which are 3-D with the quality of quake. The only problem would be cleaning out all the buggy programs and have them all in the kde menu.

I would say 50 percent of windows users never get past solitare and explorer. Just imagine if they had that choice.