PDA

View Full Version : Barricade 7004ABR Router: How to configure using CUPS

blyons
11-27-2003, 04:39 PM
Hi,
I have an SMC Barricade 7004ABR router that has a built in print server. I have a Mandrake 9.0 and I am unable to correctly configure my HP2100 to print using CUPS.

I saw someone else who successfully configured a Siemens router. This was his suggestion which I changed to reflect my system.

My example is using an HP 2100 printer. The router IP address is 192.168.2.1. I gave the router a name (Gutenberg) by associating the host name in the etc/hosts file (example is: 192.168.2.1 gutenberg)

I started cups from the local browser with the command : http://localhost:631
Selected Manage Printers
Add Printers
At the login prompt: root and password
Add new printer
Name: laserjet
Description: router printer
Device: LPD/LPR Host or Printer
Device URI: lpd://Gutenberg/laserjet

Again, I do all of this in CUPS and what I’m getting is this when I try to print a test page through CUPS (which I refreshed after doing all the above)

Description: router printer
Printer State: Idle, accepting jobs
“remote host did not accept control file (2)”
Device URI: lpd://Gutenberg/laserjet

If I go into the SMC application that came with the router, I am seeing that

LPR: Client 192.168.2.16:515 send a job to printer

However I get no output. I am up against a wall on this one: Any suggestions????

chibacity
11-27-2003, 05:12 PM
I believe the queue name on the 7004 is fixed at 'lpt1' (at least I haven't been able to change mine).

Try lpd://Gutenberg/lpt1 or lpd://192.168.2.1/lpt1

Works for me :)

blyons
11-28-2003, 06:06 PM
Hi,
I'm almost there. I used this line:

lpd://192.168.2.1:515/lpt1 and I'm finally able to connect according to my Cups. I get "data file sent successfully" but no output. Any ideas? According to SMC, CUPS won't work yet I'm finding people on the internet who've been successful at it.

chibacity
11-29-2003, 06:51 PM
That URI looks correct. You might try changing the driver for your hp2100. For my old laserjet 4, I use "HP LaserJet Series CUPS v1.1", but you may need something different.

fulmitz
01-05-2004, 03:49 AM
I'm haveing the same probelm with Knoppix, the 7004BR and an HP 722c Deskjet printer. I put in all the info as mentioned in the thread and it recognizes the printer but when I try to print a test page it says searching and then, "unable to connect to printer"

I'm a complete newbie and don't know my head from a hole in the ground so please I need it spelled out step for step if anyone knows how to connect. Thanks,

Fulmitz

p.s. I'm using lpd://192.168.2.1:515/lpt1

The name is lpt1
location = desktop
description is print server
I tried both sets of deskjet drivers.

Duffin444
01-05-2004, 09:12 AM
I feel a little stupid replying to this thread because I don't have any real info for you. Maybe it is a little too late to think right. All I can add to this convo is that I have a SMC7004ABR router that I got to print using cups. I forget how I did it and do not have time to attempt to recreate it. Just thought I would tell you that it is possible. I found the answer with extensive googling.

Good luck,
Duffin

blyons
01-05-2004, 12:20 PM
Hi Everyone,
Many thanks to all the thougtful responses. I finally was successful printing with my barricade router. I would send you a screenshot of my settings so you can duplicate. I would like to include a screenshot here but am unable to do so, so please send me an email and I will forward it to you.
My email is blyons@rochester.rr.com.

Persistence pays off.

Let me know if I can be of help.

Bob Lyons
Rochester, NY

Stephen
01-05-2004, 08:19 PM
Hi Everyone,
Many thanks to all the thougtful responses. I finally was successful printing with my barricade router. I would send you a screenshot of my settings so you can duplicate. I would like to include a screenshot here but am unable to do so, so please send me an email and I will forward it to you.
My email is blyons@rochester.rr.com.

Persistence pays off.

Let me know if I can be of help.

Bob Lyons
Rochester, NY

So how about just telling us how you did it?

blyons
01-06-2004, 12:25 PM
Hi,
This is how I configured the finicky router: I found this to be case sensitive and very unforgiving on typos. My apologies, I should have included the details on my prior post but needed to leave for work and pressed for time. Anyhow this is it.

name: lpt1
descr: HP Laserjet 2100
Device URI: lpd://gutenberg/lpt1

in the above device uri: I associated gutenberg with 192.168.2.1 which is the ip of the router so if i ping 192.168.2.1 or gutenberg, I will both hit the router. In your case, you can just use the ip address so it will look like this:

lpd://192.168.2.1/lpt

The driver I'm using is HP Laserjet 2100, Foomatic + Pxlmono

Good Luck!

Bob Lyons
Rochester, NY

lyonh
11-14-2004, 06:25 PM
I have the same router and finally I got it to work using lpd://192.168.123.254/lp. javascript:emoticon(':)')