PDA

View Full Version : VNCServer after Knoppix HDD install.

phillzee
11-27-2003, 07:48 PM
I have looked and tried everything I can find on the net but must be doing something stupid.

Simply put, I have installed Knoppix on my Hard Disk and am trying to get vncserver to run at startup in the same way it does when I run it from a console once logged in - (ie so I see a the same things on my desktop)

I tried using .kde/autostart and placed a link to vncserver in there - this worked ace until I realised that everytime I VNC'd to my Linux box it started another VNC server instance... not good - I ended up with about 20 instances in a day...

I tried changing /etc/X11/xinit/xserverrc by adding the line
exec /usr/bin/vncserver :1

That didn't work.

I tried changing /etc/X11/xdm/Xservers and added the line
:1 local /usr/bin/Xvnc -geometry 1000x730 :1

That didn't work - It can't be that hard <aahhhh>....

Help ?

Thanks

Phil

Stephen
11-27-2003, 08:52 PM
This thread (http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4918&highlight=) may help.

phillzee
11-27-2003, 09:23 PM
Hi Stephen

Thanks but the problem I have is where to launch the vncserver from - which startup file and how... everything I have dont so far wont actually get vncserver launched..

Once its running its fine but I want it to autostart at bootup

Regards

Phil

arkaine23
11-27-2003, 11:04 PM
#/bin/bash
su -c "vncserver -geomtery 1024x768 -name Knoppix:1" knoppix

^ Make a shell script like that. Stick it in /usr/local/bin. Make it owned by you and executable by all.

as root:

ln -s /usr/local/bin/vnc-script_name /etc/rc5.d/S99vnc

Note: I may not have the vncserver command exactly corrent, and there are a lot of options for you to decide on like depth and geometry. I'll have to look at my remastered CD to see what vnc scripts I used.

phillzee
12-15-2003, 06:51 PM
Thanks - Perfect - did the trick.

Thanks

Phli