PDA

View Full Version : Knoppix changed my HOSTNAME env var?

kclawson
11-28-2003, 10:06 AM
Knoppix newbie and only about 6 months on Linux. I ran it on a computer that already has Red Hat 9 installed. When I was done playing I shutdown. After booting Red Hat from hard disk, I noticed that the console prompt shows user@knoppix currdir$. The PS1 var looks normal ([\u@\h \W]\$). The /etc/hosts file looks good listing "localhost.localdomain". The /ect/sysconfig/network has "HOSTNAME=localhost.localdomain". The /etc/profile is calling /bin/hostname to set the HOSTNAME variable. I can reset the variable temporarily or hard code it in the /etc/profile I guess to make it permanant, but I can't really figure out what is going on. Running "hostname" replies "knoppix" after each boot and trying to reset the variable with "hostname" does not survive a reboot. I have even done a recursive grep of /etc for 'knoppix' and can't find anything. Also, this or some other issue has broken an NFS mount that worked perfectly before I played with Knoppix on this machine.

Anybody know what is going on?

I saw a Bugzilla report (#309) with the following: DHCP client should not try to push hostname. Could this have something to do with it?

kclawson
12-03-2003, 02:18 AM
Upon further review, this issue is clearly related to issue 304 in the Buzilla system. Knoppix DHCP client pushes the hostname up to the DNS server.