PDA

View Full Version : What can I (and possibly others) safely remove

bohm2009
11-28-2003, 10:48 AM
Hey!

I would like to make a customized knoppix with basically just kde running and displaying a webpage. So it seems to me that I can safely remove everything that hasn't got to do with kde, apache, php and mysql.

But I am really afraid that things might crash, i.e., that I remove packages that are needed for the hardware-discovering process, libs that are essential or anything that might interfere with basic functons.

So I assume that I can save a lot of space by removing tetex-* and *emacs*-Packages, as well as koffice, abiword and those games (OOffice hast to stay:wink: ), yet there seems to be so much stuff left on the cd. I am aiming at a basic iso-Size of 300-400 Megs. Any Suggestions on what else I can remove?

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks a lot,
Christoph

budhy
11-28-2003, 04:09 PM
remove all international language support, except English

install localepurge

Stephen
11-28-2003, 10:02 PM
remove all international language support, except English

install localepurge
And when you install localepurge make sure you edit the file /etc/locale.gen if it still contains the excess locales you do not want or they will still be generated next time the locales program is updated and check /etc/locale.nopurge to make sure that your locales you want to keep are in there as well.