PDA

View Full Version : Modem Problem Under Knoppix

jodef
11-28-2003, 04:35 PM
New to linux my modem is a 3Com 56k Robotics PCI Modem that win 98 detects as installed on Com5.Its not detected by Knoppix I've tried three flavors of linux Mandrake 8.2.Redhat 7.3.Knoppix. Redhat correctly detects the modem how can I solve this problem.

L2Cache
11-28-2003, 07:17 PM
Does it actually work in redhat?
If it's a winmodem, start at: linmodems.org
If it's a hardware modem, disable any onboard serial ports you're not using in the bios, so the modem will install on com 1 or 2.

jodef
11-28-2003, 11:20 PM
It actually works under RedHat is there maybe a config file I can check for settings under.It didn't work under Mandrake.

jodef
11-29-2003, 12:34 AM
The Modem is 3 COM V90 56k Internal/Voice Fax Modem Model 0727
Chipset 3CP3298-DEL
FCC ID 4X2USA-32034-M5-E
The database for PCI Modems that linmodems.org refers to says this modem is OK How do I proceed?

L2Cache
11-29-2003, 06:10 AM
According to that database, it's a hardware modem. So, it should install as a serial (com) port. You should be able to set up a connection with kppp or wvdial.

jodef
11-29-2003, 12:30 PM
Ok I understand that how do i go about getting knoppix to detect it. Is there a config file under RedHat I could look at.

L2Cache
11-29-2003, 10:31 PM
In kde control center, you could look under information.
Knoppix should detect a hardware modem.
If it installs on com 5 (ttyS4), you may have to create it, since linux usually just goes up to com 4 (ttyS3).

From the web:

To create ttyS4 is easy, all you have to do is:

cd /dev
mknod ttyS4 c 4 68

mknod creates special files
ttyS4 is the name you want
c means it's a character device
4 is the Major number
and 68 is the Minor number
You can find the device numbers in
the Documentation folder of the
kernel source in the file devices.txt

And for kppp I'd link ttyS4 to /dev/modem
while still in /dev

ln -s ttyS4 modem

jodef
12-02-2003, 12:34 PM
Thank you it worked!!! :D
If I could ask one more question running Knoppix from CD obviously when I reboot settings will be lost is there any way to create a sort of script to run these
cmds.If you can direct me to resources in this regard I would appreciate it.

JimKes
12-05-2003, 07:12 AM
I have the same problem with USR5610B modem. I thought I read that /dev/ttyS4 had been added to knoppix 3.2. I downloaded 3.3 and /dev/ttyS4 in not present.

I'm not quite sure about your information below like "From the web"

What progam do you use to enter this information.

I'm fairly new to linux. Tried mandrake about 2 years ago. Didn't have a good time. I've been DOS/Windows fan since 1987. It's time for a change.

JimKes

In kde control center, you could look under information.
Knoppix should detect a hardware modem.
If it installs on com 5 (ttyS4), you may have to create it, since linux usually just goes up to com 4 (ttyS3).

From the web:

To create ttyS4 is easy, all you have to do is:

cd /dev
mknod ttyS4 c 4 68

mknod creates special files
ttyS4 is the name you want
c means it's a character device
4 is the Major number
and 68 is the Minor number
You can find the device numbers in
the Documentation folder of the
kernel source in the file devices.txt

And for kppp I'd link ttyS4 to /dev/modem
while still in /dev

ln -s ttyS4 modem

L2Cache
12-05-2003, 08:07 AM
If you go to kmenu, knoppix, configure, save the configuration, and make a persistent home, the changes may stick.
Otherwise, in addition, you might write a script, put a shortcut to it in the kde startup folder, and it will run on startup.

Commands like those in the "from the web" info are entered in a terminal. You may need to type su to become the root user.