PDA

View Full Version : Swapping video cards, suggestions, thoughts.....

stukennedyuk
11-28-2003, 06:13 PM
I have a second PC which uses my 'seconds/spares' - I wanted to swap the video card and see what sort performance the others have. I've done a 'Debian style HD install' on this machine.

Right, I understand I can boot from the Knoppix CD and it will auto-configure the card, but how do I go about making a permanent change to a HD install?

I don't really have any good ideas where to start, other than noting what Knoppix auto-detects.....

I'll be busy reading this forum and Googling in the meantime, hoping for a tool that does this for me! - but any help appreciated.

Stu.....

RockMumbles
11-28-2003, 06:54 PM
Boot your cd, and make sure your mouse, and video is working properly, then from a root console mount your hd partition read/write then:

Backup your existing /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 file on your hard drive which will be at: /mnt/hdXy/etc/X11/XF86Config-4
(where hdXy corresponds to your hard drive device ie: hda1, hda2, hdb3 etc.)

I usually add the card module name to the end of the name ie: XF86Config-4-sis, XF86Config-4-nv, XF86Config-4-ati etc.

then copy the knoppix created file from /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 to /mnt/hdXy/etc/X11/XF86Config-4

HTH

~rock

stukennedyuk
11-28-2003, 07:00 PM
Many thanks for a quick reply!

I had a look through the /etc/XF86Config-4 file and it had (lots of) the following clue:-

"The following line is auto-generated by KNOPPIX mkxf86config"

- I might play around with this and see what I can break!

Cheers, Stuart.....