PDA

View Full Version : A script to save knoppix configuration to different drives.

aay
12-04-2002, 07:42 PM
Hey there guys. I was trolling the linuxtag site and I found a post by a fellow who wrote a script that lets you save you knoppix configuration files to a drive other than a floppy and then allows you to boot the knoppix and invoke those changes. The script searches, "for a file called .knoppixhome on all partitions, and if it finds it it will mount the partition as /home/knoppix ." According to the author, Peter Christoffersen, the script can be used by either putting it on a remasterd version of knoppix or putting it on a floppy and using the floppyconfig boot option. The author says, "It should work with any drive that linux supports and recognises as hd* or sd*" Sounds pretty cool. Hopefully it will get included into the default version of Knoppix.

You can download the script and check out the readme file at the author's ftp site: ftp://ftp.plyt.dk/pub/knoppix/

reject
04-02-2004, 09:47 AM
It seems that this link is no longer valid. Can you
upload the script here, or direct me to a working
link?

bfree
04-02-2004, 03:49 PM
Knoppix has the cheatcode home=scan which will search for the home filesystem (which you can create wherever you want with make persistent homedir). Also it has a scan option for config (i.e. myconf=scan) so it can find where you saved your configuration. I think this is what the original poster is looking for.

aay
04-03-2004, 04:09 AM
Bfree is right. Knoppix has this now. When i originally posted the link, it could not do this.