PDA

View Full Version : ifconfig internet error..

jimjam
11-29-2003, 08:51 PM
hi i've just set up a small network at home..

i can get it working fine on windows but am having problems with linux..
my server is 192.168.1.10
my client is 192.168.1.11

so i went to netcardconfig and said no to dhcp and added them manually.
this was the result...

ifconfig eth0 192.168.1.11 net mask 255.255.255.0 broadcast 192.168.1.255 route add default gw 192.168.1.10
auto lol eth0
setting name server 192.168.4.100
adding name server 192.168.8.100

this is all the same as my windows settings apart from having a broadcast address... is this where i am going wrong ?
any body got any idea as to why it wont let me get on to the internet..
cheers
knoppix knewbie...

mangancha
11-29-2003, 09:57 PM
A quick an easy way to find out.... without getting into iptables

apt-get install firestarter
as root run firestarter
From the window that opens chose from the first pull down menu named Firewall --> Stop Firewalll.... and try again.

jimjam
11-29-2003, 10:34 PM
that sounds nice but i need to get it online first...
sorry if i didn't make it clear that i cannot get it online.

mangancha
11-30-2003, 08:28 AM
and download firestarter unstable (find it here) (http://www.debian.org/distrib/packages#search_packages) and then install it on your linux box...

...although it seems that debian servers are down because of a recent security breach.

I guess you can try to compile firestarter from source code... or read the iptables manual here (http://www.netfilter.org/documentation/HOWTO//packet-filtering-HOWTO.htm)

You can try this script... I have not tried myself... it is harmless... other than reversibly turning off your firewall... yeah, thats safe nowadays!.

#!/bin/bash
# Flushing and initializing the chains
iptables -F
iptables -X
iptables -Z

# This is intended for the loopback device... you can try it with eth0 (if that #is your network interface, or eth1 or whatever). If this let you get into the #internet, then you have a firewall/iptables issue, easily solved, but you #have to read the manual... if you reboot the iptables parameters will be #restored as they were before you ran this script
iptables -A INPUT -i eth0 -j ACCEPT
iptables -A OUTPUT -o eth0 -j ACCEPT

mangancha
11-30-2003, 08:30 AM
my prior post is missing the first line. It should say:

Get online from another machine... and download firestarter....

mangancha
11-30-2003, 08:34 AM
also the link to the iptables HOWTO was broken.... check this one (http://www.netfilter.org/documentation/HOWTO//packet-filtering-HOWTO-7.html#ss7.2)

baldyeti
11-30-2003, 02:52 PM
I wouldn't advise installing a firewall before establishing basic connectivity.
Your parameters look fine to me. What does "ifconfig" report?
Can you ping the other system? (ping 192.168.1.10)
Also is this other system a windows box? Is it actually set up to allow routing?

mangancha
11-30-2003, 07:18 PM
The prior post is very wise indeed....

However sometimes a firewall gets installed without us knowing/notizing...

So, if thats the case, and for whatever reason you do have a firewall problem, you can try the above suggestions to rule that out... then again, the problem can be many other things, but if you cannot ping another machine, it is wise (and simple) to rule out a firewall problem (not an unfrequent networking "problem")...

aay
12-01-2003, 02:02 AM
There are no firewalls set up by default on knoppix. You should do this. Make sure your card is detected. Look at the output of lspci from a shell. Does it show your card? You might also look at the output of dmesg. Double check the network settings you are plugging in. If this all looks good, then check the cable you are using from the machine to the router. Is the cable good? Are you using the right kind of cable: straight ethenet? crossover? I'm not exactly sure how you have things set up so you need to check these things out.