PDA

View Full Version : KDE customizing

sn0wflake
12-01-2003, 05:17 PM
How do I customize the KDE desktop. My overall plan is to display one *big* button on the initial desktop. The computer is a dumb client so it must not be possible to shutdown, restart, or switch user.

Please help a newbie!

PS: Is it possible to predefine a user that'll be logged in automatically even in case of a physical reboot?

Superstoned
12-01-2003, 09:11 PM
How do I customize the KDE desktop. My overall plan is to display one *big* button on the initial desktop. The computer is a dumb client so it must not be possible to shutdown, restart, or switch user.

Please help a newbie!

PS: Is it possible to predefine a user that'll be logged in automatically even in case of a physical reboot?

are you talking about an HD-installed knoppix/debian, or do you run from pc?

you can customize KDE in the configscreen, look for configuration - kde control panel.

there is a Kiosk-mode in KDE (but that'll be in 3.2, so you have to install the 3.2 beta first, or wait for the final 3.2 to be released) which allows you to do what you want (restrict users) but for now you can't go this far.

and of course, there is an auto-login feature (find it in the control panel of KDE)

You can check the KDE website (www.kde.org) for more info...

good luck

sn0wflake
12-01-2003, 10:46 PM
First of all, thank you for the helpfull pointers.

Knoppix 3.3 is installed on the clients. The only purpose of the clients is to log on to a Windows 2003 terminal server.

L2Cache
12-02-2003, 12:10 AM
You could check this post for info on making a knoppix kiosk:
http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6202#28365

sn0wflake
12-05-2003, 04:15 AM
Thank you again L2Cache :)