PDA

View Full Version : Make copy of knoppix cd?

turbine
12-01-2003, 08:52 PM
I got the knoppix cd and it works great. I'd like to make a backup copy but don't know how. One would think that this could be done with k3b but I can't seem to make it work. K3b fails at the start of the copy process. Anyone know how I can do this?

Superstoned
12-01-2003, 09:08 PM
you will have to give more info... for example, your config, the error's you see etc

you might also check the k3b site wether it is an known bug. and finally, you might have a problem with the size of Knoppix - alot ppl report troubles cuz the CD's size is on the edge of what is the maximum, and some burners/burnsoftware doesnt support it.

turbinater
12-01-2003, 09:27 PM
Cant you just make an iso from the cd in k3b? then you can burn as many as you want.

turbine
12-01-2003, 09:36 PM
Thank you, Superstoned and turbinater, I'll try what you say. Don't know what my configuration in k3b was since I just used defaults. The error message was quite lengthy and it told me to notify some guy but not how to do so. Creating an iso from the cd sounds like a worthwile strategy so I'll try that next.

rickenbacherus
12-01-2003, 10:46 PM
I got the knoppix cd and it works great. I'd like to make a backup copy but don't know how. One would think that this could be done with k3b but I can't seem to make it work. K3b fails at the start of the copy process. Anyone know how I can do this?

Hmmm- I think you are using an elephant gun to kill a mouse. Presuming that you can boot Linux from hdd then just use dd or cat like so:

dd if=/dev/scd0 of=/home/user/Knoppix.iso

or

cat /dev/scd0 > /home/user/Knoppix.iso

Phooey on the GUI. :)

If you're trying to copy the cd while booted to it then I think that won't work.

turbine
12-02-2003, 01:17 AM
Yeah, rickenbacherus, I was trying to copy the cd while being booted from it. I wasn't aware that I couldn't do that. I am not able to boot from hdd yet. Still evaluating.

By the way, I haven't been able to copy it under windows either. Using adaptec cdwriter and it doesn't give many options to select at all.

aay
12-02-2003, 06:42 AM
If you're trying to copy the cd while booted to it then I think that won't work.

Hmm. This used to work. I remember I once made a copy of Knoppix while running it using K3B.

I suppose you should also be able to do this with something like
$ cdrecord -v dev=0,1,0 speed=4 /dev/scd0.

Here dev=0,1,0 is the burning cdrom and /dev/scd0 is the reading cdrom. Just make sure you burn at a slow speed. Perhaps 1.

Superstoned
12-02-2003, 11:38 AM
you can't burn if Knoppix is in your burning device... cuz you can't eject knoppix while using it... so if you only have 1 cddrive, you can't burn cd's using knoppix.

turbine
12-02-2003, 12:46 PM
Thank you aay, I'll try that next. rickenbacherus, I was
able to load and run from hdd and I tried both of your
suggestions. I couldn't get them to work though. I kept
getting error messages saying the destination was not a
directory or that it was not writable.
aay, tried reading the man pages for cdrecord and cdrao.
It looked like advanced calculus to me and I wasn't able
to make much of it. Kept passing out while reading and
never finished.
Superstoned, thanks for the info. I do have 2 cdrom drives on my system, a read only and a read/write drive.
There's gotta be somebody somewhere
who has specific instructions, that he has tried and
that he knows works, on how to do this. I tried contacting
the folks at k3b but their website is down and they
don't answer email.