PDA

View Full Version : lilo mandatory for hd install

rusty
12-02-2003, 12:57 AM
If I hd install knoppix as the only OS on the drive (and the PC), do I still need to install a boot loader or boot floppy for the hd to start the installed OS? I do plan on more linux partitions and another drive for swap.

TIA

m_yates
12-02-2003, 01:26 AM
You still need the boot loader, but if you only want it to start linux immediately, you can just adjust the delay time in LILO to zero. That way it should boot linux immediately. Just open the configuration (as root) from konsole:

kwrite /etc/lilo.conf

change "delay=20" to "delay=0"

save changes and exit kwrite.

enter the command "lilo" as root for the changes to take effect.

jeramy
12-02-2003, 05:09 PM
Either that, or just remove the "prompt" command.

Don't forget to run lilo!

John Richards
12-03-2003, 04:29 PM
Of course one can create a bootable CD on the Floppy image, and load from that. It is VERY much faster than booting from a floppy, and does not get in the way of any other installations one may have.

I have tried to add the installed Knopper to my Redhat Grub menu, but for some reason I can't figure out, it refuses to work like that. The bootable CD is the best solution I have come up with so far.

Using the MBRTOOL one can set upalternative MBR boots, but restoring them means going back into DOS each time - far more cumbersome than a Boot CD for whatever refuses to work on a Grub menu, IMO.

John

Dave_Bechtel
12-05-2003, 04:00 AM
--Here's the script I use to make bootable CDRs; on my system the eltorito.img lives in /mnt/cdtemp/boot:

BEGIN mkbootcdrom

#!/bin/sh

# Make a bootable Linux utility cdrom

mount /mnt/cdtemp
##mount /mnt/cdtemp/image1.raw /mnt/cdburn2 -t ext2 -o rw
##cd /mnt/cdburn2
cd /mnt/cdtemp

/bin/ls -al
echo Making bootable CDROM... PK:
read

#mkisofs -r -f -U -v -o - * \

# -c is an OUTPUT file
time \
mkisofs -b boot/eltorito.img -c boot/boot.catalog \
-d -D -f -l -J -N -r -T -v \
-log-file ~/bootcd.errlog \
. \
| cdrecord -v fs=5120k -eject speed=$CDR_SPEED -data -

#dev=1,0,0
# mkisofs -b boot/eltorito.img -c boot/boot.catalog \
# -d -D -f -l -J -N -r -T -v . \

--As a side benefit, it will also copy whatever is in /mnt/cdtemp to the bootable CD, as long as it fits in 700MB.

Of course one can create a bootable CD on the Floppy image, and load from that. It is VERY much faster than booting from a floppy, and does not get in the way of any other installations one may have.

I have tried to add the installed Knopper to my Redhat Grub menu, but for some reason I can't figure out, it refuses to work like that. The bootable CD is the best solution I have come up with so far.

Using the MBRTOOL one can set upalternative MBR boots, but restoring them means going back into DOS each time - far more cumbersome than a Boot CD for whatever refuses to work on a Grub menu, IMO.

John