PDA

View Full Version : Network passwords??

CrashedAgain
12-02-2003, 05:50 AM
Having problems connecting from winME to Linux (Knoppix). I can connect ok the other way (from Knoppix to browse the winME shares. I can also connect winME to winME. Both systems are dual boot winME & Knoppix.

I've set up users & passwords so that winME has Linux user account (name=Desktop, password=DesktopPassword) on the Knoppix system (box name=Laptop ie user prompt is 'user@Laptop'). I have also set up Desktop as a smb user with the same password ie 'DesktopPassword' and have set up /home/laptop as a share in smb.conf.

[LaptopHomeShare]
path = /home/laptop
public = yes
guest ok = yes
writable = no

Now the winME system finds the other computer 'Laptop' but prompts
'Enter password for Laptop/IPC$'
& none of the passwords work. Neither does the system user password or root password or null (blank). I have also tried setting the smb passwords to null with
smbpasswd -n Desktop
in which case the ME system prompts 'You do not have premission to access Laptop' when trying to connect.

Same thing happens when trying to connect winME to Knoppix-running-from-CD.

What password is it looking for & how do I set it up?

turbine
12-07-2003, 06:45 PM
Howdy:

Can't answer your question but I have similar problem. Maybe same answer to both questions. I start samba and give it password which I had previously set up for knoppix user and root. Then I go to win98 box and look in network neighborhood and there is the knoppix machine in workgroup. When I try to access knoppix shares I get dialog box asking for password. Anything that I enter is the wrong answer. Help!

Redeyes_Gambit
07-15-2005, 01:57 PM
I have the same problem, and seeing as though the other posts are from 2003 and it is now *checks watch* 2005 I wounder to myself... Is there no answer?!?!

UnderScore
07-15-2005, 03:29 PM
If you want to know why samba & Windows network behaves strangely then read http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=16306
and this http://forums.lugradio.org/viewtopic.php?t=682