PDA

View Full Version : Default Kernel patches

phrostie
12-02-2003, 02:05 PM
i've been running the knoppix 3.3(not sure which iteration) with the 2.4.22-xfs kernel. the exploit that hit the debian servers recently is in kernels below 2.4.23, unless patched.

are the default knoppix kernels patched?
how can i check if mine is?

btw, i've started several people down the linux path thanks to knoppix, but i would like to know if i need to tell them to upgrade or not.

TIA

Phrostie

garyng
12-02-2003, 08:50 PM
i've been running the knoppix 3.3(not sure which iteration) with the 2.4.22-xfs kernel. the exploit that hit the debian servers recently is in kernels below 2.4.23, unless patched.

are the default knoppix kernels patched?
how can i check if mine is?

btw, i've started several people down the linux path thanks to knoppix, but i would like to know if i need to tell them to upgrade or not.

TIA

Phrostie

Klaus use vanilla kernel+XFS so the patch is definitely not in what KNOPPIX used.

This exploit is quite serious and every linux(2.4+) IMO should be upgraded right away and have a thorough check, like what debian did. No one knows if there are dormant exploit waiting to attack and the worst thing is, it seems that none of those security enhanced measure would work and give any protection to this exploit.

bsaunders
12-02-2003, 10:03 PM
I've looked at security.debian.org and am a little confused about what needs to be done to upgrade the Kernel.

Is it a matter of typing apt-get upgrade, then apt-get update?

How would I know my Kernel has been patched?

Thanks,

Stephen
12-02-2003, 11:22 PM
I've looked at security.debian.org and am a little confused about what needs to be done to upgrade the Kernel.

Is it a matter of typing apt-get upgrade, then apt-get update?

How would I know my Kernel has been patched?

Thanks,

You need to go to the kernel.org (http://www.kernel.org) and get the 2.4.23 kernel source and use the kernel package program to compile and then install the new kernel. A guide to compiling (http://newbiedoc.sourceforge.net/tutorials/kernel-pkg/index-kernel-pkg.html) a kernel the Debian way if you decide to take this route.

bsaunders
12-03-2003, 02:01 AM
Stephen,

Thanks, as usual, your posts are most enlightening.

Brent

phrostie
12-03-2003, 12:30 PM
thank you.