PDA

View Full Version : Can not load on IBM Server

blainehilton
12-03-2003, 05:01 AM
I am trying to run Knoppix on an IBM PC Server 330. The server has dual processors and 4 SCSI harddrives configured as a RAID array using IBM serveRAID. I could not get the CD-ROM to boot the CD (which I think is a SCSI drive) so I created the boot floppy image and that gave me this message:

SYSLINUX 2.04 (Debian, 2003-06-06) Boot failed

On the bottom right of the screen it says "CP 7F".

I thought the boot disk might be bad so I redid the image on another disk and I was able to load Knoppix on another computer fine.

--
Any help would be appreciated
Blaine Hilton

abouzeis
12-03-2003, 05:21 AM
I 'm wondering why you couldn't get the cdrom to boot, did you check your boot devices order in your bios.

I'm not sure why the disk didn't work.

blainehilton
12-03-2003, 07:47 AM
I checked the BIOS and it would only allow me to choose between the disk drive and the hard drive. I can not choose the CDROM. There is another BIOS for the serveRAID or some SCSI one and I believe it showed that the CD Drive was on SCSI #7 and I was able to choose a SCSI start up device, which I set to 7 and still no luck.

Any suggestions?

Dave_Bechtel
12-05-2003, 02:26 AM
1. DON'T use CDRW on SCSI cdroms. Use CDR.

2. Move the cdrom to device 0 and set the SCSI card to boot off device 0.

--Try that and see if anything changes.

I am trying to run Knoppix on an IBM PC Server 330. The server has dual processors and 4 SCSI harddrives configured as a RAID array using IBM serveRAID. I could not get the CD-ROM to boot the CD (which I think is a SCSI drive) so I created the boot floppy image and that gave me this message:

SYSLINUX 2.04 (Debian, 2003-06-06) Boot failed

On the bottom right of the screen it says "CP 7F".

I thought the boot disk might be bad so I redid the image on another disk and I was able to load Knoppix on another computer fine.

--
Any help would be appreciated
Blaine Hilton

blainehilton
12-07-2003, 12:45 AM
I am using a standard CDR.

So I next tried to change the boot order and SCIS ID#. Went through all 3 BIOSes and nothing let me do it that way so I opened up the case and found that the 4 harddrives are connected to a RAID adapter that plugs into the SCSI connector on the motherboard. The RAID adapter also has an extra connection that the CD-ROM is plugged into. The CD Rom didn't appear to have any jumpers on it so I tried plugging the CD ROM directly to the motherboard SCSI connector, ended up pulling on the wrong area and pulling the conector off of the cable. I will try to fix it and try again. My first experience with SCSI :?

Knoppix works good on another IBM computer I have laying around with a standard IDE CD-ROM and no SCSI RAIDs.

Thanks for the hlep

lippink
12-22-2003, 06:35 PM
I have been working with an IBM PC Server 330 8640 PBO I just got. I used the procedure on the URL http://www.tek-tips.com/gfaqs.cfm/lev2/7/lev3/51/pid/513/fid/3049 to move the CDROM from the RAID controller to the external SCSI controller and was able to install RedHat 7.2 from CDROM succsessfully. Good luck. :idea: