PDA

View Full Version : 48 megs with X

John
02-04-2003, 12:46 PM
I started out with Model-K (http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/distributions/modularity/), hacked out a few more packages (ISDN, and dialup support), added X, and added the very small kdrive Xvesa (http://www.pps.jussieu.fr/~jch/software/kdrive.html). That got X working, though I'd like to add some configuration options. The Kdrive servers only work with command line options

After that I added Links Hacked (http://xray.sai.msu.ru/~karpov/links-hacked/), which is a great little browser -- it does js, ssl, http, ftp, frames, cookies, http Auth, but is still rather small. I compiled it on host host machine, then moved it over to the chrooted dir and apt-get'ed the dependencies.

Added basic X utilities...

Added nVi, which is a Vi small clone...

Added tinyirc...

That got me over 55M, so then I went on the hunt for logs, temp files and docs to remove. I finally got under 50M when I purged the apt cache, I figured it is easy enough to rebuild.

I did it mostly to see if it was possible within the KNOPPIX framework. It is not really on par with lnx-bbc, though I like my choice of browsers better.:)

Alextreme
02-04-2003, 05:16 PM
Nice hack! A perfect fit for on a creditcard CDR!

Alextreme
02-04-2003, 05:17 PM
[edit]
Whoops, once was enough :D

AvidLinuxUser
02-04-2003, 05:40 PM
Very nice, that is why I'm making the Modularity System. Would you be willing to write up the changes and send the X-hack Model-k to me so that I can host it for the world to use?

BTW I'm working on Model-K 0.6.0 this will be under 25 megs if it kills me.<g> Replacing some most of the function with Busybox and Tinylogon.

Still debating on the apt-get / dpkg monster. This is the main thing keeping the size at 30Megs.

Contact me via email to discuss it more.

Thanks
Avid

Alextreme
02-04-2003, 06:17 PM
How is modularity going btw?
i'm putting most of my efforts into getting modules to work well enough, but my 33meg base is still quite fat. apt is quite small imho, just made sure i remove all the apt-cruft. The kernel modules are also quite large together with all those libs (using busybox is a very good idea, was trying to use it in the 2.88meg bootimage)

[edit] typos

AvidLinuxUser
02-04-2003, 07:10 PM
As I said still working toward my base system I'm not happy with 33 megs. My first computer was a 386 with only a 20 meg hard drive. I know the Modules are a pain but are needed for the system to run in "any machine".

Please expand on what you mean by apt-cruft. The problem with dpkg is that once installed it starts keep many falt file dbases for every package, file, conf, etc. on the system.

Alextreme
02-04-2003, 07:33 PM
Yups, thats why i'm trying to make a fatter kernel with the most commonly used modules, guess the size alltogether depends on your target-users though :)

Oh, about the cruft: i've placed a package tools.tar.gz with a apt-strip (not what you think ;)) script, it removes all but the most needed files (backups, package lists etc), while still being able to revive apt with an update. You remain with one big textfile (status) for the current packages, but it compresses nicely. Dunno if you already made something similar...

John
02-04-2003, 09:44 PM
I want to do a bit more hacking when it comes to setting Xvesa's resolution. It is set like such:
-screen widthxheight[xdepth] (-screen 1240x1024x24)
It is simple to plug it into the startx script, but I'm going to write a small script that has pre-selected modes to choose from. The Kdrive Xvesa server is a bit slow but it can do very good resolution.

I burned it to a business size disk. It was advertised as having 50 megs of space, but actually had 55 megs. Is that typical? If so, it gives me some room to add an ssh and ftp client and maybe a small file manager.

I'll definitely throw it your way after I hack in the screen settings, I don't really have any other place to host it.

dvessey
02-05-2003, 02:19 AM
I would definately love to get my hands on something like that :) once I get this whole loading into ram thing figured out, that would be a perfect candidate for it.. I'm sure running out of ram would compensate for any speed loss :)

AvidLinuxUser
02-05-2003, 03:11 AM
YES!!! :P

I'm very happy to announce Model-k, Modularity.org's base system is now only 20 Megs.

There is still the matter of rebuilding the dpkg status file to account for the installed program but then I should be able to release it for testing.

:D Please email me if you just must see it before the release this weekend (or next at the lastest).

Vick
02-05-2003, 06:41 AM
Will be very cool 8) to have (how2) to start working with Modularity, like (how to install KDE and make it auto start...) things like that…
I don’t know :shock: how to install KDE and other things like that… but I can help :idea: by contributing and releasing a translation in French from an English HOW2 version!
What you think :?:
Can sum buddy help :?:
Will be very much appreciated :D

AvidLinuxUser
02-05-2003, 01:16 PM
Will be very cool icon_cool.gif to have (how2) to start working with Modularity, like (how to install KDE and make it auto start...) things like that…
but I can help by contributing and releasing a translation in French from an English HOW2 version!

Great!!! I'm working on the How-to modify Modularity and the scripts. Using ths scripts you could add software to the Model-k iso (sort of) and remaster a disk to look it you want. Once I have the Model-K iso stable I will be building a place on the website for this type of contributions. Should be in the next few weeks.

Thanks again,
Avid

Vick
02-05-2003, 05:04 PM
Great stuff :D Let me know the evolution, aim on stand by :shock:

John
02-06-2003, 11:47 PM
Okay, update..
Right now I got it sitting at 49 megs with the following added goodies:
Busybox
ftp
ssh/scp
naim (http://site.rpi-acm.org/info/naim/) an AOL instant messaging client
Worker (http://www.boomerangsworld.de/worker/) - a very nice and very small file manager

I hacked together a little routine where X is configured before it is launched -- nothing fancy. It loads up a basic script in Vi where you uncomment the resolution you want. After you choose and close vi the X fires up.

I'd like to add a very small email client.

This is sort of becoming a pet project, I'm looking for a homepage.

dvessey
02-07-2003, 03:41 AM
yes, get it hosted somewhere for download :) sourceforge could work for that...

John
02-07-2003, 10:54 AM
Just a quick note, I ended up using XFmail. It's a small gui client with low dependencies.

eadz
02-07-2003, 12:08 PM
This is sort of becoming a pet project, I'm looking for a homepage.

if you just mean webpage, feel free to make a page on the Wiki,
if you're talking about hosting an iso, can't help at this stage. ( my HD is almost full )

John
02-08-2003, 11:21 AM
Thanks the offer, but I think I am going to break down and buy a domain to host it on. Until then here is a teaser...
boot display (http://cgi-fun.hypermart.net/small/damnsmall.jpg)
screenshot (http://cgi-fun.hypermart.net/small/50megsofx.png)

John
02-13-2003, 05:29 AM
I got a domain, DamnSmallLinux.org, there should be something up there in a few days.

Here is a new screenshot (http://cgi-fun.hypermart.net/small/damnsmalllinux.png) that shows off most of the better X apps. It took several hours of hacking at the base to make room for the word processor and XMMS. The ISO is sitting right at 50 megabytes.

After the site is built I'll try to get the iso into Ibiblio's ftp repository.

John
02-19-2003, 12:00 PM
Hi,
Okay, I have the site up and running at:
http://www.damnsmalllinux.org/
And the iso at:
ftp://ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/distributions/damnsmall/damnsmall-0.1.iso

Let me know what you like and dislike about it. When you type startx you'll be thrown into Vi to uncomment the resolution you want.

The site is moving to a different server some time in the next 24 hours. Hopefully, no one will notice.

kbreen
02-19-2003, 06:35 PM
I notice this release has "purged the apt cache".

What does this mean in practice? Can I update/customise this 50MB version of Knoppix in the usual manner using apt-get? Do I need to rebuild the apt cache before I do this?

Any info appreciated.

Alextreme
02-19-2003, 09:24 PM
Purging all that apt-cruft is a good way to squeeze out some extra mb's, to rebuild you just need to apt-get update. Most (if not, all) remastered versions use it, and knoppix prob too.

John
02-19-2003, 09:48 PM
I wen't one step past that and also removed the dpkg folder.

There will be a gzipped dpkg/ folder available on the website. You should be able to drop it into /var/lib/ and gunzip it, then just 'apt-get update' to restore apt-get.

Alextreme
02-19-2003, 09:57 PM
hmm, that seems reasonable for a 50mb iso :D

interested in how it works, downloading it now, hope to be able to provide some useful feedback :)

kbreen
02-19-2003, 10:05 PM
Thanks for the info.

I can't seem to access your damnsmalllinux.org site as yet (I guess your in the process of moving it).

I just gave your 50MB version of Knoppix a go.
I can give boot options to it with my keyboard. e.g. lang=uk
However, once it has booted, it doesn't recognise my keyboard, so I can't use it further,

The regular Knoppix works fine with my keyboard (my keyboard is USB).

Just passing on the info, hoping there is a easy fix for it as your distro sounds great.

John
02-19-2003, 10:20 PM
:) I guess that is a problem. Right now it just does US keyboards. I'll work on that.

John
02-19-2003, 10:25 PM
To make room, I had to remove many of the locals. I guess the simple solution would be to make a UK, DE etc. version.

John
02-20-2003, 03:11 AM
Alex, I missed your post earlier -- thanks.

kbreen. does the keyboard respond if you do not enter your language preference?

kbreen
02-20-2003, 01:18 PM

I was presuming it was more of a USB issue so I didn't try that.
I will try it later tonight though and get back to you.

kbreen
02-20-2003, 11:51 PM

No, it doesn't.

I did notice when I tried again that I was getting an error message during boot though.
When I did specify lang=uk I get:
findkeymap: no such file or directory
cannot open file uk

When I dont specify a lang I get the same, but with:
cannot open file us

Strange...

John
02-21-2003, 01:14 AM
I was looking at this man page (http://www.fifi.org/cgi-bin/man2html/usr/share/man/man8/install-keymap.8.g).

I'm thinking I am missing a package your keyboard requires.

Anybody have any experience with the ins and outs of USB keymaps? Do they usually require a different map than a PS/2 keyboard?

John
02-21-2003, 02:48 PM
Strange, my last post isn't showing, it is there but hidden on regular thread display -- looks like a possible software bug?

Kbreen, I don't have a usb keyboard, would you mind being a guinea pig for me as I try to fix the usb issue?

I think console-data (http://packages.debian.org/cgi-bin/search_contents.pl?searchmode=filelist&word=console-data&version=testing) is what is missing. That's the package that has all the extra keyboard mapping.

kbreen
02-23-2003, 01:05 AM
Kbreen, I don't have a usb keyboard, would you mind being a guinea pig for me as I try to fix the usb issue?

How can I help?
Are you able to create a new release with the missing package?
Or are you looking for me to try and do this?

John
02-23-2003, 10:12 AM
I am in the process of making a new release ( I guess I'll call it 0.1.1 :-)).

Thanks for the offer, I think I am on it. I have the keyboard mapping packages back in, and added usbutils, which I am hoping will enable your usb keyboard. I am in the process of doing other modifications. Hopefully I'll be able to put a new ISO up in a couple of days.

It would be a big help for you to try out the new ISO for me and let me know what is/isn't fixed.

kbreen
02-23-2003, 12:15 PM
I
It would be a big help for you to try out the new ISO for me and let me know what is/isn't fixed.

Looking forward to your new release. Let me know when/where I can get it.
Will your package modifications take you over your 50MB?

John
02-23-2003, 07:25 PM
No, I am keeping it at 50MB at all costs. Alextreme was kind enough to point out some areas where I could do some extra trimming. I have some extra room now to add some more applications.

John
02-27-2003, 09:43 AM
Hi,
I will be putting up a new ISO next week. I've cleaned things up some, and trimmed out more.

What was lost:
pcmcia support
many locals and zone info
kernel source

What was gained:
Xpdf
Nedit (very nice text editor)
spell check (American English)
AxY FTP (gtk based FTP client)
USB support
keyboard mapping

A lot of the apps are shoo-horned, for instance the Xpdf I am using is a leaner statically compiled version I hunted down on the net. It is about 1/3 the size of the static binary on the Xpdf website. About half of the apps are from Debian, and half are hunted down -- what ever gave me the most room.

It is still sitting just shy of 50M, and is actually a useful desktop at this point.