PDA

View Full Version : Difficulty logging into a server via XDMCP

Doug
12-03-2003, 12:23 PM
Knoppix is the X client, I am attempting to log into my main server from a PC running Knoppix 3.3 as a X client/terminal.

Normally the PC I use has WInME and I log into the server using Xmanager without problem. Xmanager is a reasonable package however I suspect is is throttled in the trial version I use.

As you can appreciate I now want to log in from the same PC but now running Knoppix. I am hoping for 100% X performance from Knoppix.

If I open a terminal window and enter: chooser BROADCAST
the chooser window appears with my server listed. Selecting the server and accepting results in the chooser closing and a message 'Cannot create response socket' being displayed.

Monitoring with Etherial (thanks knoppix) shows the broadcast and response from the server but nothing after selecting and accepting the server from the chooser window.

It seems that the Knoppix PC is unable to open an Xterminal session but why?

I dobt it is a problem with the server firewall since Xmanager under Windows works fine.

What am I missing?

If I need to change a config file how do I do this when they are RO on the CD?

TIA
Doug[/u][/b]

Doug
12-04-2003, 01:11 PM
I'll answer my own question...
After some research on this forum I did:

<ctl><alt>1 to switch to vt1
telinit 2 to switch to runlevel 2
X -broadcast to start X and request xdmcp responses from the server

following this the RH login screen appeared and X ran very well with no perceptable loss in performance from running from the console of the RH machine. Much faster than Xmanager on Windows.

Killing the X session was clunky - quitting the session from th RH system put me back to the login screen, to kill the X session I had to <ctl><alt>1 to the vt1 again and use <ctl>c to kill the session. Not very tidy.

Why can't I have an xterminal session running on the Knoppix machine as well as the kde desktop?

Also, I tried from a Knoppix terminal:

telnet myRHserver
login blah blah....

...then in the telnet session
export DISPLAY=ipaddrofknoppixmachine:0.0
xterm

An xterm screen from the RHbox should then appear on my knoppix box.
It does when I use Xmanager or Exceed on a windows machine.

What I get is .....

Xlib: connection to "ipaddrofknoppixmachine:0.0" refused by server
Xlib: no protocol specified

term Xt error: Can't open display: ipaddrofknoppixmachine:0.0

How do I enable an incoming xterminal session? nb this is a CDROM system.

Doug

horo
12-04-2003, 08:21 PM
Hi Doug,

while kde is running try on your knoppix box:

X -broadcast :1
Or read this:
http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5668#28340

Ciao Martin

Doug
12-05-2003, 11:54 AM
Thanks Martin, I did see that and even tried it on my RH box but didn't think to try it on the Knoppix 'Xterminal'. Works really well, exceptionally fast in comparison with Xmanager.

Nice switching between the local/remote systems with a <ctrl><alt>F5 or <ctrl><alt>F6.

I would still like to get the xterms running in the standard knoppix desktop.

Developing an X application on a remote system which does not have an X desktop running is best done through multiple xterm screens. One or two or editing, one for compile, another for standard output and another for the X application display.

This may be a particular requirement of mine but all software development in my organisation is done this way. I would much rather run Knoppixx than Exceed and Windows, but so fr I cannot get that happening.

Thanks again,
Doug

A. Jorge Garcia
12-05-2003, 05:09 PM
Hey Doug, I've been trying to get this to work for ever too. I think I'll give your method a try. I have to retry Martin's method too when I reinstall some servers. I may have messed some up....

Thanx,

Doug
12-08-2003, 02:49 PM
I have now successfully created an xterm client window within the knoppix desktop:

su
xhost +192.168.0.1
exit
telnet -l user 192.168.0.1
password
export DISPLAY=192.168.0.12:0.0
xterm

the xterm screen will be displayed on the client machine.

I have changed a truckload of other settings on the system in getting to this point, but I do not think they have any bearing on this exercise. I will post a correction if necessary.

Incidentally in the new xterm screen repeatedly entering 'xterm &' will create new windows.

doug

A. Jorge Garcia
12-08-2003, 04:02 PM
Doug, have you seen this?

http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=29769

Regards,

horo
12-08-2003, 05:56 PM
Hi Doug,

Nice switching between the local/remote systems with a <ctrl>F5 or <ctrl>F6.

You typed <alt><ctrl>.., true? The forum software interpreted the <alt> as a HTML tag. You have to disable HTML in your post. I discovered the same problem some time ago.

Ciao Martin

Doug
12-08-2003, 10:58 PM
Re the reference to the previous thread... this is a lot of very useful information on the subject, it would have been helpful to have found this earlier. I have printed it and will work through it in slow time. That said, I think I have now got the bits I needed working.

for the xdmcp into remote server/s:

X -broadcast :1

and when inside knoppix desktop:

xhost +ipaddressofappserver

Re the missing Ctrl+Alt text from my previous posts, thank you. I just thought my keyboard had been playing up and had already thought to replace it. I re-read my posts each time and wondered if I was loosing my marbles, surely I could not have made so many typing errors. I guess I should 'read the documentation'.

A. Jorge Garcia
12-09-2003, 04:52 PM
Thank you, thank you, thank you, gentlemen! Finally, I got this mess to work. I did as Doug suggested. I think that after all the mods I made on the clients and server hdds, I must have screwed-up xhost.

Steps that worked:
(1)Server: I installed my server with knoppix-installer as Debian, addusers, and made all the server modifications listed in the links above. I then ran xhost +eachclientip but I found that adding the ips to /etc/hosts on the server works best!

(2)Client: Then I have my clients boot the knoppix cd with the boot string: knoppix 2. Then my clients run X -broadcast (I did not need :1) or X -query 10.10.2.5. And all is finally as it should be in the Land of Linux!

Minor problems left to resolve:
(1)Client: What I need to do is have my knoppix-installer as knoppix clients boot up to runlevel 2 so I don't need to burn so many cds....

(2)Server: The clients and the server resolution are both 800x600 only. If I boot the CD with the boot string: vga=normal screen=1024x768 xvrefresh=60 which used to work, I get a video modes on server and client mismatch error. I need to figure out how to get my i810 intel video onboard chip to give me its other mode, namely 1024x768 on the server. I got this res on the clients (when using ssh and fish instead of X -query) by booting a CD with the given boot string and copying the XF86Config-4 file from the ramdisk to my hdinstall. However, this only worked on knoppix-installer as knoppix, not knoppix-installer as debian. I had to knoppix-installer as debian my server to addusers and get the login window for my users....

Thanx,