PDA

View Full Version : MandrakeMove: Live CD of Mandrake 9.2

SUOrangeman
12-03-2003, 03:22 PM
I didn't want to put this in the News forum, but it seems that Mandrake has jumped on the "Live CD" bandwagon.

http://www.mandrakelinux.com/en/mandrakemove/

I tried it out last night without any problems. I didn't see anything earth-shattering. MM boots into KDE (I didn't record the version, nor did I notice if other WMs are available) and seems to mount every partition is sees (may not be a good thing, especially if writing is automatically enabled as well). Probably nowhere near the amount of software included in KNOPPIX.

Mandrake 9.2 (and thus, MandrakeMove) does support my SATA controller (Promise SATA150 TX4) out of the box with a 2.4 kernel. Until the 2.6 kernel is incorporated (which directly supports my controller), I will consider this a slight advantage. I didn't see an installer that would be equivalent to knx-hdinstall or knoppix-installer.

-SUO

aay
12-03-2003, 06:57 PM
I saw the post about this on /. The fact that the poster mentioned that MM can do certain things that Knoppix can't ticked me off. He said that MM could be ejected from the CD so that you could play DVD's.

Knoppix can do this too. If you have 1GB or greater of ram, then just boot knoppix like this "knoppix toram". If you don't have that much ram then you can boot like this "knoppix tohd=/dev/hda1" (or whatever partion you want to use). This second way copys knoppix to your HD and runs it from there. IMHO the Mandrake way of doing this isn't quite as good, because after the CD is ejected all you can do is use the multimedia player. If you use the methods I mention above, then you can run any app on Knoppix after the CD is ejected.

Also the poster on /. said that you could have your settings saved to a usb device. Geez! Knoppix has been able to do this for ages. I've nothing against MM, but I just wish people would get their facts straight.

Adam

dewfrost
12-05-2003, 01:30 AM
:lol:
nice....
got ur tips in my memory bank! thanks!

rdt
12-06-2003, 12:05 AM
I am a Mandrake user for years. I tried the Mandrake Move cd the other night. Although Mandrake is on desktop machine, etc, I think that KNOPPIX is a much better 'live cd'. Much thanks goes to the makers of this distro. Please keep up the good work.

Yakumo
01-09-2004, 07:10 PM
many people DONT have 1 gig of ram however, and also don't have HD's they can use for swapfiles etc.

mandrakemove's way of doing it is great imo, it makes it very flexible, you just pop the cd back in when you want to run other apps.

the boxed version comes with knoppix like ability to have a home directory on a usbkey, and , something i've wanted built into knoppix for a LONG time , NVIDIA DRIVERS! (and also acrobat reader, realplayer, flashplayer though i know these can be added with knoppix scripts, you don't always have net access when your using the disk)

I 'think' it has all the wm's mandrake 9.2 normally comes with "KDE 3.1.3, GNOME 2.4.0, IceWM 1.2.13, WindowMaker 0.80.2, Enlightenment 0.16.5, Blackbox 0.65.0" but i don't know for sure at all....

all in all i'd say it looks like it'll be very handy to have about, but there are still MANY reasons to have knoppix as well.

windos_no_thanks
01-09-2004, 09:06 PM
I for one hope that proprietary binary-only software and drivers will NOT be included in Knoppix.
Let's keep the "official" version clean, if you need/want stuff like that you can do a remaster.
IMHO you shouldn't support hardware vendors that make GPL licensed drivers impossible in the first place, if they don't publish the data sheets just don't buy their stuff.

Ritchie
01-13-2004, 10:53 PM
i tried this "pop the cd use the media player on MMove".....it was soooo slow.....all i wanted to do was play an audio cd..uses a player called totem..which took 5 mins to "stream" the music duh?......knoppix is still the best...just wish we could have the Pan newsreader on the cd...
ritchie

oscar
01-15-2004, 03:32 AM
There is another mandrake based live-cd

http://www.pclinuxonline.com/pclos/pclinuxos.html

http://www.madpenguin.org/Article757.html

I like this more than the official mandrake live-cd.
Actually I like this more than knoppix and knoppix is great for me.