PDA

View Full Version : Simple Knoppix/Wine Questions

Sniffer
12-03-2003, 03:56 PM
1 - Can Knoppix mount NTFS partitions and use it normally as it was Fat/Fat32/ext2 (i mean read/delete/edit...)????

2 - When installing Knoppix with Wine i need to have a dual boot so i can charge Windows Apps in Gnu/Linux (Knoppix)???

3 - Wine is compatible with most of the games for windows such as Max Payne2/Half-life and so on or only work to a few apps and games????

4 - Isn't in your opinion Virtual Game Station better then Wine to the same purposes (use windows apps and games)???

I know this are simple questions but are important to me because i want to build a new system with evrything right from the beggining.

Many thanks once again :wink:

hplasm
12-03-2003, 04:19 PM
For Question 1: See this article:
http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=03/12/02/1536227&mode=thread&tid=106&tid=185&tid=190&tid=201 for using NTFS r/w.

exiva
12-03-2003, 07:18 PM
1 - Can Knoppix mount NTFS partitions and use it normally as it was Fat/Fat32/ext2 (i mean read/delete/edit...)????

if i rember right, it can be done from the kernel.. but it does run the risk of destroying your NTFS partition

2 - When installing Knoppix with Wine i need to have a dual boot so i can charge Windows Apps in Gnu/Linux (Knoppix)???

i belive wine will let you install windows apps, since it creats a virtual C drive in the .wine folder

3 - Wine is compatible with most of the games for windows such as Max Payne2/Half-life and so on or only work to a few apps and games????

http://appdb.winehq.com/appbrowse.php?PHPSESSID=4e5db33d8218d88cebb241ce13 527431

4 - Isn't in your opinion Virtual Game Station better then Wine to the same purposes (use windows apps and games)???

errr... isnt that a old PSX emulator by connectix that got sued by sony, along with Bleem! ??

Sniffer
12-05-2003, 12:22 AM
Many thanks for your support and help

What i mean it was VM Workstation (Virtual Machine Workstation), that install a Windows OS in Linux.

Though i'm now 100% clarified regarding my questions, thanks for that. :wink: