PDA

View Full Version : Problems with NVIDIAŽ GeForceFX5200 Go Graphics chipset with

abouzeis
12-03-2003, 06:22 PM
Hi in my toshiba laptop i have an NVIDIAŽ GeForceFX5200 Go Graphics chipset with 64MB DDR Video memory video card and knoppix doesn't automatically install it. I'm forced to use vesa which doesnt have a nice sharp display, doesnt look to nice.

Does any one know what steps I should take to get my video card to work with knoppix, I'm afraid to trying this and then end up loosing my stuff and reinstalling knoppix again because I f***ed up my display.

I configured and compiled the drivers from the nvidia website, but what do I do now, its not listed in xf86config. Specific steps would be appreciated as I am still new.

Thank you all in advance for your help, knoppix rules !

aay
12-03-2003, 07:08 PM
I believe that all you need to do is download and run Kano's install script. Then the drivers will be automatically downloaded and installed for you.

You can get it here:
http://debian.tu-bs.de/knoppix/Kano/scripts/install-nvidia.sh

After downloading it, make it executable like this:
chmod +x install-nvidia.sh

Then run it as root like this:
./install-nvidia.sh

I would run it with X closed however.

I believe this script is a variation on Fabian's CD version, which you can find here:

http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4016#18817

abouzeis
12-03-2003, 07:35 PM
Thanks alot aay for your help. I dowloaded the script and ran it. It connects but can't seem to download it, "connection timed out" and crap like that, it keeps on retrying but doesn't get it.

I opened the script and its kind of clear what it does, can I just do those steps manually myself or is that too dangerous.

Thank you all.

aay
12-04-2003, 04:49 AM
That's kind of odd since the script downloads the drivers from Nvidia's site via wget. Perhaps Nvidia moved the drivers. You might want to check that out and either change the download location in the script or simply download them and execute the remaining commands in the script after that.

abouzeis
12-04-2003, 09:04 AM
I wasnt able to install it manually after trying for an hour. But using the generic nv drivers seems to work really well, sharp image etc..

But the problem I'm having now is that the whole display is a box in the middle of the screen. How do I get it to fit the screen. settings res. in xfree didn't work.

Thanks again for all your help aay.

aay
12-05-2003, 01:35 AM
Hmm. Not sure about this one. I'll try and look for it, but maybe someone else will be able to chime in with help.

Bartman
12-08-2003, 05:40 AM
But the problem I'm having now is that the whole display is a box in the middle of the screen. How do I get it to fit the screen.

On the face of it, it sounds like a misconfigured /etc/XF86Config-4 file... post a copy of this file here, let's see if there's any obvious probs...

Bartman

abouzeis
12-09-2003, 11:45 PM
Hi, I'm not on my machine so I cant post the xf86config file now, I will later today. I reinstalled knoppix after booting with fb1024x768, that solved the problem but the screen is 640x480 though. every time I change it in xconfig and reboot, it returns back to 640x480.

Zuron007
12-10-2003, 01:24 AM
I have also been having a problem with my knoppix 3.3 using a Nvidia geforce 5200...

When i boot from the cd the xserver tries to start and retries twice more and ultimately fails with an error it says that it cant find something for my graphics card (sorry i dont have the screen in front of me cause i cant get it to work right!).

Any ideas on a fix?

Perhaps there will be an update or a knoppix that will also have the Nvidea driver as part of the autodetect and install process?

Oh yeah, I have tried starting using the fb cheat which will then tell me that it is a wrong value and i have to either hit return to choose a new one (all of which arent to great) or i can continue.....whats this all about?

Thanks

rickenbacherus
12-14-2003, 08:41 PM
Based on Knoppix 3.2 Overclockix (http://overclockix.octeams.com/) has the nvidia drivers already on the cd. :) Thanks Arkaine. It might be worth a shot. It saved my bacon on my Asus/nvidia board.

I of course cannot speak for Klaus but I don't know if we'll ever see the nvidia video driver in Knoppix due to the licensing.