PDA

View Full Version : Laptop Knoppix

dirty30ex
12-05-2003, 06:13 AM
i wanna run a live cd of knoppix but i wanna be able to save my desktop settings and a few mp3s or sumfin.. if i can connect over to the windows directory to dl to thatd be even better truthfully my primary goal is to have linux running to connect to my xbox linux (soon)... im just tryin to get started.. im supernuB comin to linux.. is what im thinkin possible.. i have mandrake installed but i dont like givin up so much of the Hd to an experiment..

L2Cache
12-05-2003, 08:14 AM
If you go to kmenu, knoppix, configure, save the configuration, and make a persistent home, you can save settings and files.
You can also access windows partitions.

dirty30ex
12-06-2003, 05:08 AM
l2cache.. you rule.. workin on gettin the version on knopp i want then gonna get rid of mandrake.. gotta figure out how to boot xp from a cd.. ive tried with 3 diff dls of knopp and im startin to think maybe f10/f8 (cant remember whic hright now) isnt the solution.. hollaback

dirty30ex
12-08-2003, 08:12 AM
how do i create a home directory on the hard drive.. it keeps tryin to do it to a floppy or removeable media..

L2Cache
12-08-2003, 06:39 PM
In knoppix 3.2, if you go to kmenu, knoppix, configure, create a persistent home, it should allow you to make a persistent home on a hard drive if there is a hard drive partition that knoppix can write to.

dirty30ex
12-08-2003, 11:59 PM
cool.. how big should the partition be.. i just wanna be able to save things like karamba and other stuff to make the desktop look good.. or should i go with a full install... i want it to run fast so learning it wont be a matter of dealin with latency and slowdown.. thanks l2.. (do you know how to get rid of lilo..i cant get my xp to boot to dos and i dont really understand the fdisk talk im readin in the other posts)

L2Cache
12-09-2003, 02:09 AM
I recommend about 100mb so you have a little room to grow. You can resize it later if you need to.
If you wipe lilo off the mbr, you will need a boot floppy for makdrake; but check this page for more info and answers:
http://www.cclug.org/wiki/Main/KnoppixTricks

dirty30ex
12-10-2003, 12:30 AM
imma toss it a gig just for safe keepin.. i got a 30gig drive anyway.. the 'persitant' directory is just for linux files tho right.. i plan on addin a few tools and things.. few eyecandy programs like superkaramba and such.. desktop themes and such... mp3s an movies or anything frivilous stays in the windows..

i already deleted mandrake.. wasnt very satisfied with mandrake 9.2... missin libraries all over the place... couldnt get online with knoquerer (whatever)... knoppix'll be enuff..

still workin on gettin lilo outta here.. lookin through my docs and disc for a boot disc.. might have to make one. (like i know how to do that)

gracias l2cache..

L2Cache
12-10-2003, 01:20 AM
If you look at the bottom of the knoppix tricks page listed above, there is a Fix MBR topic that tells how to make a generic boot loader with knoppix. You can save it to floppy or to the hard drive to replace lilo.
I don't have xp; but I hear there is a way to repair the mbr from xp.

dirty30ex
12-23-2003, 12:52 AM
got the lilo off the comp.. had to use the windows recovery console.. strugglin with superkaramba rightnow.. cant get it to install (missin files and directories or sumfin..) strugllin... any ideas... imma do a search of the forum before a new thread.. strugglin..

gyro
01-06-2004, 07:39 PM
if you need to fix the mbr in xp all ya gota do is get to a c:\ prompt and type in the following without the colon: fdisk/mbr
thats it this will rewrite the master boot record ( ir will also remove lilo if you have it installed)
:-)

jagaroth
01-09-2004, 01:05 PM
l2cache.. you rule.. workin on gettin the version on knopp i want then gonna get rid of mandrake.. gotta figure out how to boot xp from a cd.. ive tried with 3 diff dls of knopp and im startin to think maybe f10/f8 (cant remember whic hright now) isnt the solution.. hollaback

I recomend BartPE if you want to boot XP from CD. It's rather a cool program that you use to configure what apps you want installed. You need to script the correct registry settings (or download pre made registry scripts) and it will make a live XP compatable disk for you. It's free from www.nu2.nu

With a bit of tweeking and reading you can get it looking like the screenshots on the site. Just takes persistance. I find it very usefull for going the hack on reliably editing NTFS formats and partitions from CD.